Tuesday, June 21, 2011

MCAT Scores - HOORAY!

I woke up about a million times this morning, even going so far a couple of times as to check my email on my iPad before falling back asleep. I was already awake when my alarm went off at 8am and I wearily got out of bed to go eat some breakfast casserole (thank you, Nicole). I took Naiya out, something that I love doing in the calm and dewy quiet of summer mornings. I tried not to think about the gnawing idea that had kept me from unconsciousness.

I failed.

Checking my AMCAS application regularly while working (don't worry, my boss understood; she even asked me to text her how I was doing if I got my scores after she left), the day seemed to draaaag. I discovered that there are four clocks that I can see without turning my head. FOUR.

I was completely expecting my scores to post after 5pm, but was just feeling so obsessed that I couldn't help but check every 15-20 minutes. I'm glad I did, because surprise surprise, my scores were posted when I checked at 3:10pm!

As I said in my last post, I won't be telling my actual scores. I haven't even told Nicole yet, though I think I'll share with her, since she's my wife and all. What I will say on here is this: I made a goal of what I wanted to get on the MCAT when I started this whole process. What I was going to try for, you know? And I got it! I am happy with my score, and I feel it will play a strong role in helping me end up in whatever school I'm supposed to attend. I am proud of my score, and I will leave it at that.

That being said, one of the things I am (somewhat ashamedly) most relieved about is that I won't have to take the test again. It might sound silly, but I absolutely hated preparing for and taking that MCAT exam. With so much riding on one single, timed exam, I doubt anyone could relish the experience. Yeah, sure it's fun to have risen to the challenge. But doing the actual rising? That's a grueling experience that I'm very glad I won't have to repeat, especially while working and all that...

Now, all that's left is the primary application. And the secondary applications. And the interviews! To be honest though, I'm looking forward to all those much more. I feel more positive, more anticipatory about those parts of the process because there is more that I can actively do in the meantime. That is, until I have submitted everything, gone to any interviews and returned home to sit on my hands and wait for responses... Yikes. At least I will be in class and working during it all, so I won't have so much idle time for my mind to devote to screaming in small anxious circles all day...

Tonight: celebration!

Happy.

4 comments:

Sam P. said...

Congratulations my friend!!! I knew you'd nail it.

Now you can donate all of your MCAT study materials to a worthy cause that stands about 6' and looks a lot like me...

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS Again, Justin! We are both sooooo proud and soooo relieved for you! I was actually feeling sick during most of the day when I thought about and sat waiting for the results to come in...can just imagine your "pacing in small anxious circles"! Ahhhhh, it's done...bring out the signs now, huh!?!?! Love you! Mom and Doug

Axl Rose said...

Nice blog - keep it up! Honeslty tho, I kind want to know your MCAT scores :)

I guess it's a choice between anonymity and privacy when it comes to blogging - you can really only have one or the other. I chose to keep my anonymity and give up my privacy, so my MCAT scores etc are posted. You choose to lose anonymity and keep your privacy - I can respect that. Having said that...

Choose wisely my friend :)

Justin said...

@Axl Rose you're exactly right - it's a choice between anonymity and privacy. I chose privacy because I don't really mind it if people know most of who I am or what I'm doing with my life. I won't be posting anything on my blog that I don't want any admissions committees knowing, but that's mostly because there's nothing that I wouldn't mind them knowing! I'm pretty sure my choice is a wise one. The blog is mostly a way for me to catalogue everything along the way for posterity's sake anyway. It's great if it provides an interesting read or helpful advice along the way as well, so why not? I'll be following along your blog as well. Good luck!

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash