Wednesday, June 29, 2011

My Homeless Brother is Creating Space

For those of you that don't know, right now my younger brother Travis is intentionally living homelessly on the streets of Denver, Colorado. He is doing this to show love to those who know no love, seek those who no one wants to find, and be with people that society would rather not experience. Though it's not the safest or most conventional method of ministry or care, I think that awesome things are going to come of this. His most recent post blew me away. I'm really proud of him for doing this, and for the attitude and reasons behind it all. When I was looking at my blog stats today, I realized that for the first time, I am getting more views from around the country than from my home state of Michigan. Not only that, but more views are coming from other countries than ever before. When I thought about what part of my life I would want to share - today - with so many people from all over the world, it wasn't med school applications. It wasn't my random tinkering projects. It wasn't anything going on at home or work. That stuff can wait. I'd rather share what my brother's doing. Check it out!

http://denver1215.wordpress.com/2011/06/29/creating-space/

Just because he's "creating space" on the streets of Denver doesn't mean we can't take that idea to heart and put it into practice in our regular, day-to-day lives wherever we live. The best thing is, it doesn't matter who you are or what your career is. Everyone can do this if they want to, and I bet those that choose to do it and the people they touch will be happier for it at the end of the day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't have put it better, Justin. Thanks for putting into words what Travis is doing and how you feel about it and him. My sentiments exactly.....Mom

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash