Saturday, July 16, 2011

Company Picnic & Secondary Brainstorming

My time today was hogged by two very different activities:


  • Brainstorming Topics for my Pritzker Essays
There are two central essay questions for Pritzker's secondary application. One focuses on their mission statement and how you are a good fit for their school. The other asks you to focus on a difficult situation in your past, the coping mechanisms you employed as you worked through it, and the support people that you relied on throughout. I have a meeting with my advisor on Monday and am currently drafting preliminary responses to review with her that morning.

  • Company Picnic at John Ball Zoological Park
Today was my company's annual summer picnic. This year it was at the zoo, which was great! We had upwards of 3,000 employees and family members (and most likely a few against-the-rules friends) show up, and a great time was had by all. Free food (I loved me some BBQ chicken!) , a day-long pass to the zoo, live music by a local band and a great raffle combined to form an awesome night. I hoped to visit my sister- and brother-in-law that live five minutes (if that) from the zoo, but the festivities ended a bit on the later side for barging in on a family with three kids under the age of 5. The picnic was fun, but I was mostly there (alone) as the photographer, since my wife Nicole was busy poking Josh Groban in the back, touching him on the arm and offering to go canoeing with him. She hasn't posted about it yet, but now she has to...

I just finished editing about 1/5 of the photos from the company picnic, and it's time for a shower, some Battlestar Galactica (please don't stereotypify or judge me too harshly... and yes, I know, "Bears. Beets. BATTLESTAR GALACTICA!) and bed.

Mini-update on my electric bike: It's built! One small snaffoo though - the charger that came with my battery is defective. How do I know? It doesn't charge the battery and smells as though someone put burnt hair inside it. So, I got about 4 miles of blissfully ignorant mileage out of my battery (thinking it was full, since the charger told me it was) before it pooped out on the test run. I'm going to put up a much more detailed post on this, my newest invention, once it is actually up, running, and videoable.

Yep, videoable is now a word. 

2 comments:

Nicole said...

:-) Don't worry, you're still my main man, even if Josh ever takes me up on the offer to go camping in northern MI.

Anonymous said...

The Zoo !Awesome place for a company to provide a family outing. What a fantastic company to do something like that for their employees...when they really don't have to.

Bummer about the charger-Grr. Hopefully they won't give you grief about replacing it.

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash