Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Secondaries: Six Down, Nine to Go

I have successfully completed (and paid for! OH YEAH!) secondary applications to the Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine, University of Michigan Medical School, Ohio State University College of Medicine, University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, and University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health. Technically, I haven't paid for that last one because their website isn't working properly, but all the rest are firmly under my belt.

I'm not over the bridge yet, that's for sure. While Indiana University does not have a secondary application, Wayne State and the University of Toledo review applicants' AMCAS applications before deciding if they want to request a secondary application or not. That can take 4-8 weeks, so I'll be waiting on those for a little while longer at least.

That leaves me with my applications to the University of Illinois at Chicago, Rush Medical College, Northwestern University Feinberg SoM, Michigan State CHM, the Medical College of Wisconsin, and Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine to worry about for the rest of this week.

Writing the secondary application essay definitely gets easier as you go along. For one thing, you can use parts of some essays to answer other schools' prompts. Oftentimes it just requires a bit of rewriting to make things mesh. For another, you just get more comfortable as you go along. The words just kind of flow a bit more as you lose your fear of writing these monumentous 250-chunks of text. It's just writing, right? Right... Writing that can change the whole course of your life if you miss a typo that irks the reviewer enough to make him toss you to the "discard" pile...

Anyway, I am feeling pretty good at this point! Hopefully I'll finish what I have left by either Thursday or Friday. That'll be a push, but it's what I'll have to do to get all of the secondaries in by their two week mark, given those five luxurious days spent in the Porcupine Mountains. Don't worry, I won't forget to finish editing my pictures and put them up here. Just as soon as I have some time.

In other news: my bike battery should be getting shipped out tomorrow!!! I spoke with my good buddy John (he always answers when I call) at Amped Bikes and they should hopefully be able to send me one of the ten Tube Batteries that they got in early for testing ahead of the batch that will be arriving in September. Originally, I ordered my battery on June 18th. I got it around the middle of July, but it was faulty and had to be sent back after riding about 2 miles on it. As of yesterday, I was expecting to have to wait until September to get a battery, but now I'm looking at getting one in less than a week! That would be extra awesome, as it would allow me to FINALLY write my post on my electric bike. Funny how that was originally intended to be a summer project, yet now it's almost fall and classes start next Tuesday.

Holy cow, classes start in one week.


2 comments:

Axl Rose said...

Dude we are applying to like the exact same list of schools. Yeah, I hate secondaries, but I only have one left (sort of, haven't started my DO ones). I just got an interview at OUWB - super excited. I'll let you know how it goes- maybe I'll post a cheat sheet on my blog :)

Justin said...

@Axl Rose - Crazy! Congrats on getting the interview! I hope it goes well for you. It would be crazy if we ended up classmates someday. Good luck!

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash