Wednesday, August 31, 2011

WAKE UP! Your class starts at 8!

Today I awoke with that throat-gripping fear experienced by every student who has ever thought that he slept through class. The thing is, I hadn't. Not even close. Today I have Biochemistry I at 9:30am, which I told Nicole last night before we went to bed. I also told her that I was going to set my alarm for 7:00am.

I had the hardest time falling asleep, and didn't quite manage it until around 2:00am. So, after Nicole got up at 6:15am to go for a run and my alarm went off at 7:00am while she was still out, I decided to reset it for 8:00am to get my six hours. Just before she had left, she gently woke me up to tell me that she wouldn't be back by the time I left for class. That should have been my first clue, but I was only halfway there. Otherwise, I would have thought, "How long are you running that you won't be back in three hours??" Unfortunately, I just rolled over and went back to sleep.

Apparently, when she came back from her run at 7:47am and saw me sleeping there, she instantly remembered only that I had set my alarm for 7:00am, and therefore must have been planning to go to class at 8:00am. So, as a good wife would do, she screeched out in a voice that just about gave me a heart attack, "Justin WAKE UP! Your class starts at 8!"

I sat up in bed, eyes and hair wild, before she even finished saying my name. The adrenaline kicked in, helping my thoughts fly. As the cobwebs cleared, I slowly replied, "No, it doesn't. It starts at 9:30am... I told you last night, didn't I?"

We figured it out after I went back to sleep for fifteen minutes and had a laugh, but man, that was a freaky way to start off the semester...

In med school news, I've completed, paid for and submitted every secondary application except for Wayne State's and the University of Indiana's. They are still reviewing my primary application, deciding if they want to request a secondary.

And now, the waiting game begins.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Absolutely hilarious description...can picture the whole thing. Great writing!

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash