Thursday, August 18, 2011

We Have Internet... Sort of.

So, last night after I got home from work, a slight shock miniature bolt of lightning struck my brain.


Why not ask one of the neighbors if we can pay ten bucks and use their internet connection for the next week or two until AT&T installs our connection??


I was dumbfounded that I hadn't thought of this before. Here I've been, stressing about not being able to work on my secondary applications because I don't have an internet connection, and a simple solution, however temporary, was waiting there the whole time.

Within five minutes of knocking on my neighbor Ben's door and offering him ten bucks, we were online. He also offered the possibility of just splitting internet costs with him. Since he pays $60 per month (YIKES.) for internet, that would be $30 per month for us. I'm leaning toward just going with AT&T, since our plan would be $30 per month there as well, and I wouldn't have to connect to a different Wifi network to access all the wirelessly-stored goodies on our external hard drives...

Anyway, crisis averted. This morning Nicole and I used the new connection to purchase our textbooks online, both e-textbook and regular paper formats from Amazon. All of my textbooks will be electronically rented and viewable on my iPad. I believe two of Nicole's were available on the iPad, and everything else will have to be old-school format for her. We decided to go through two suppliers - CourseSmart and Kno. We wanted to go through Inkling, but the just didn't have any of our books available yet... Regardless, between the two of us we've saved about $320 in wallet space and more than 50 lbs in backpack weight for this semester, so we're doing pretty well.

Other than that, I finished one of my essays for Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine this morning. Now it's on to proofing and possibly another essay before work this afternoon.

No comments:

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash