Sunday, September 25, 2011

Getting back into running

My wife is at the peak of her training for a marathon; yesterday she ran TWENTY miles. I haven't been running consistently since I lost the arm strap for my iPod. A while after that, I lost even more hope when the chip that goes in my shoe went dead, so even if I DID get another strap, I still wouldn't be able to record my runs on the Nike+ website. Sure, I still ran here and there, but just not like I used to.

Yesterday, I got up the courage to spend some of these past 7+ months of saving my allowance and bought a Nike+ SportWatch GPS . With this watch, I don't need a chip in my shoe (unless I'm running indoors or where there's no satellite signal), I don't need a new iPod strap (unless I want to listen to music), and best of all, I get the added incentive of having it record all of my running stats effortlessly.

I don't know why, but I really like seeing aggregate statistics pile up. It's similar to how I really like time lapse videos of plants growing, a hoard of ants eating a dead animal, or a season-long time lapse of Lake Michigan freezing and thawing. It's just cool to be able to step back and actually see a long-term change take place. That's why I like seeing my running stats. While I might not be able to see the change while I'm in the grueling first month of training, after several months I can actually see my performance on a graph and compare it to what it was one, two, three, or four months ago. Being able to view this change is very encouraging, and it helps keep me motivated to run. I like running, but sometimes that extra push is necessary to keep me going.

In the interest of that "extra push," I decided to add a widget to my blog that shows my most recent run's distance and date as well as my lifetime's average pace. You'll see it show up in the right-hand column. Today's run (being just my second since I decided yesterday to get back into shape) was a measly 1.41 miles. Hopefully we'll see that number increase quite a bit over the next couple of weeks.



It keeps track of all my records: fastest mile, fastest kilometer, best 5K and 10K times, longest distance, and total miles. It also keeps the data on the 50 most recent runs.



All I have to do is plug it in, and it automatically uploads and updates everything on my Nike+ page.

---

On the med school front, I have my first interview just 11 days from now. I have a "mock" interview with my school tomorrow morning, so hopefully I'll be able to identify and iron out any annoying, subconscious habits like fidgeting or chewing on pen caps before the real deal...

1 comment:

Susan said...

Funny..."chewing on pen caps"! I like that :)

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash