Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Give Me Your Eyes

Recently, while I was driving along and hitting, "Seek" to skip through random radio stations, a very meaningful song came on. Now, I want to preface what I am about to say with this: I am not one to be commonly affected in an emotional way by music or movies. However, when it happens, it happens in a huge way.

Another preface: When I was studying for the MCAT, my brother-in-law recommended that I find a song that would pump me up for the task - that could get my juices flowing even when the last thing I felt like doing was studying. I ended up with a playlist, since I couldn't pick just one song to be my theme.

I have found my theme song. For those of you that don't know me that well, I am a firm Christian. This means that I believe in the message of salvation taught by Jesus Christ, and also that I believe in personalizing his lifelong example of loving and serving others. The song that I heard on the radio speaks directly to how we are often so busy that we do not focus on and care about others in the ways that we should. This song's message and overall essence characterize my motivation and aspirations - to see and reach and serve and care for others better than I currently can.

And you know what? I believe that, given my specific talents and abilities, the best way for me to do so is to become a physician. The song I heard is a prayer to God for him to give his eyes so that we can see the needs of those around us, to give us his arms so that we can reach the people who are broken, beyond our reach. Most importantly, to give us his heart for those the world has forgotten. Essentially, this song is a plea to enable us to care for those around us as best as possible. It's not a new song (out in 2008), but it was new to me, and when I watched the music video, it resonated with me so much that I cried as I watched it - then cried again when I showed it to my wife. I don't want to become just a cold doctor who treats wounds in a sterile room, then moves on to the next patient. I want to be the doctor that truly cares about what his patients are going through - that empathizes with patients in a way that allows them to feel safe and comforted as well as physically healed. The song is called Give Me Your Eyes, and it's by Brandon Heath.




Lyrics:

Looked down from a broken sky
Traced out by the city lights
My world from a mile high
Best seat in the house tonight

Touched down on the cold black tile
Hold on for the sudden stop
Breath in the familiar shock
Of confusion and chaos
Are those people going somewhere?
Why have I never cared?

Chorus
Give me your eyes for just one second
Give me your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me your love for humanity
Give me your arms for the broken hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me your heart for the ones forgotten
Give me your eyes so I can see
yeah .. yeah .. yeah .. yeah

Step out on a busy street
See a girl and our eyes meet
Does her best to smile at me
To hide what's underneath
There’s a man just to her right
Black suit and a bright red tie
Too ashamed to tell his wife
He’s out of work
He’s buying time
Are those people going somewhere
Why have I never cared?

Chorus
Give me your eyes for just one second
Give me your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me your love for humanity
Give me your arms for the broken hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me your heart for the ones forgotten
Give me your eyes so I can see
yeah .. yeah .. yeah .. yeah

I’ve been there a million times
A couple of million eyes
Just moving, passed me by
I swear I never thought that I was wrong
Well I want a second glance
So give me a second chance
To see the way you've seen the people all along

Chorus
Give me your eyes for just one second
Give me your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me your love for humanity
Give me your arms for the broken hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me your heart for the ones forgotten
Give me your eyes so I can see
yeah .. yeah .. yeah .. yeah

Give me your eyes for just one second
Give me your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me your love for humanity
Give me your arms for the broken hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me your heart for the ones forgotten
Give me your eyes so I can see
yeah .. yeah .. yeah .. yeah

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great song. I'm glad you found a theme song, it will come in handy throughout med school. Good luck with interviews!

Susan said...

Went back and listened to this again, Justin. It's such a great song. I know you'll be right there with what this song is all about....you already have a huge heart......

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash