Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Interview #1 Tomorrow

Tomorrow is my first med school interview. I've taken a vacation day from work and arranged to have my Analytical Chem lab covered. I've finished my homework and lab reports early, and took both an exam and quiz this past Monday, so I have nothing to study for. I've read up on this particular school, which wasn't hard because it happens to be one of my very top (possibly THE top) picks.

Last week I went to a practice interview with my school's Career Services office. They video recorded me so that I could see myself do things that you aren't supposed to do. For example, I said "Uh" and "Um" far, far too much. I also found out that I REALLY need to make my responses more concise. I was clocking in at about 3 minutes per answer, and answers should be about 30 seconds to a minute in length. My mock interviewer also told me that it's not good to start off a response with a leading word like, "Well" or "Hmm..." It's much better to just jump right into the question after preparing your answer. So, he recommended that I just take a 1-2 heartbeat break to compose my thoughts, then answer simply and directly. Shortening my answers will also help reduce the number of "uhs" that slip out.

I plan on going for a run in the morning tomorrow. Not only does it help me prepare mentally, it also makes my body much calmer, reducing the amount of twitchy energy that I have, which might otherwise seem like nervousness. Surprisingly, I am only a little nervous right now. That might change in the morning, but I'm feeling pretty good about it, and I'm optimistic that it will go well.

Just got back from a run with Naiya, watched some Malcolm in the Middle, and now it's time for a shower and some breakfast! In case you're wondering how I had all this free time, classes were cancelled for a Critical Issues symposium. I decided that I was more in need of some self-time than symposia talks, so I kicked it at home for today. Anyway, wish me luck for tomorrow!

1 comment:

Joshua said...

Good luck on your interview tomorrow.

I did one of those mock interviews once where they videotape you. It is ridiculous to see all the things you do without realizing it. But I had the opposite problem, I get 5 second answers instead of 3 minute answers.

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash