Wednesday, October 26, 2011

My Non-Traditional Pre-Med Schedule

Today, I got to see my wife for about eight minutes before we headed off to class. I won't see her again until after I get home around 11:30pm or so, once she's done with a study group (or something like that; her schedule's crazy too). That's a normal Wednesday.

I'm posting (check out down below) a copy of my schedule so you can get the gist of what I'm talking about. Keep in mind, this only shows the bare minimum of my daily plannings; it doesn't include things like meeting with professors, trips to the pet/grocery/bike store, group study/homework meetings and the like. Unplanned events get crammed into whatever area of white I can manage to find in layout. That is, whatever isn't taken up by eating, studying, sleeping (any nap over 20 minutes is AMAZING; I'd seriously pay to get a reliable, non-narcotic instant sleep button implanted in my forearm. My biggest problems at the moment with sleep are that 1.) It's REALLY hard to find enough white space in my schedule to come by enough sleep to make it worth attempting a nap, and 2.) most of the time when I try to nap for a few minutes, I can't manage to fall asleep.), or riding my awesomely slapped-together electric mountain bike to or from work/class.

Most days start between 6 and 8am, unless I get up earlier to study. That is very rare and only happens if I'm freaking about an exam or something. I'm trying to keep that to a minimum this semester. I think I've managed an actual breakfast once this week, as I've been dragging in bed for some reason. This behavior has been facilitated by the Quaker's "Oatmeal To Go" bars that Nicole bought this past weekend - VERY GOOD. Shower, clothes, backpack, coat(s) (it gets cold riding an electric bike at 25mph, and it's only going to get colder), take care of the dog and I'm out.

Oh, by the way, it's official - I put my car into storage a while ago, so my only form of transportation is my bike. I've ridden it for a total of 548 miles as of this morning, translating into a total savings over the past two months of $328.00, assuming an average gas cost of $3.75/gal and the $100/mo savings on insurance.

To remedy the not-seeing-my-wife drawback to being a non-traditional med school applicant is what we like to call "Doughnut Dates." Every Friday morning before class we sacrifice 1.5 hours of sleep in the name of romance to do something cheap together before class. We only actually go out for doughnuts one Friday each month, but it's awesome. Even if you're not incredibly busy, I'd highly recommend doing something similar. We both look forward to it all week!

Anyway - who knows if this schedule is the best way to go about attempting this whole process, but it's working so far. The bike thing might (WILL) get more difficult in the winter, but I'm up for the challenge. Alright, lunch (dinner?) break's over, so away I go... :)

4 comments:

Bekah said...

And next year, all that work time will be STUDY! I can't believe how much I study. I think it is awesome that you and Nicole already have a plan for dates/time because that is one less thing to work out.

Susan said...

I've been thinking about that bike ride to work and the coming months...hum, what kind of heavy, warm boots can you wear while riding a bike????

a said...

You're really brave to bike in the winter- this may sound like a dumb question, but I'm not a biker- are there snow tires or something that can help with the traction of your tires? It's scary enough in a car with the ice and snow!

And that doughnut breakfast is a great idea. I think I am going to have to try something like that with my boyfriend, he's in his residency right now and he's pretty busy. Thanks for the tip!

Justin said...

@a Thanks! Definitely not a dumb question; they actually make tires with spikes on them to help you grip on ice, but right now I only have these fat mud tires on my bike.

Let me know how it goes with the Doughnut Dates with you and your boyfriend! Hopefully it'll give you both something manageable to look forward to during the week. Have a good one!

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash