Thursday, October 27, 2011

This Is Why I Love Science

Sometimes there comes along a thing in my classes that takes my breath away. The amazingly complex and beautiful designs that form small parts of us, like the first picture below from my biochem lecture that shows the complex structures that can form as a result of complementarity in single-stranded mRNA molecules - things like this amaze me. That letter sequence is a series of nucleotides joined by glycosidic bonds; the letter actually represents the base that hangs off of the ribose (because it's RNA, not DNA) molecule within each of those nucleotides. For those non-biochemists out there, the reason this image highlights a guanine double H-bonded to a uracil is not because it's a mistake; normally guanine triple H-bonds to a cytosine (see the second image below), but there are certain exceptions to this as shown in this example; if you look closely in the macromolecular representation, these rare bonds are designated by dots instead of lines.

The second picture is an idealized representation of a chunk of DNA designed to highlight the specific purine-pyrimidine base-pairing of adenine with thymine and guanine with cytosine inherent between the double-stranded structures in our DNA. I have a quiz on this stuff tomorrow morning (well, both DNA and RT-PCR - Reverse Transcriptase Polymerase Chain Reaction), and I couldn't help but express some of my awe at the complexity of what goes into the smallest parts of our organic beings. To me, this level of blatant design shouts that there is a designer, which I believe to be God. This is the reason I studied a science (Physics) in the first place - to closely examine the order and design present in every niche of the world around and within us. This is the stuff that makes me wish I could study every science course in existence (minus statistics, which is more of a necessary evil than a science). This excitement is why I don't worry too much about the hard-science aspect of medical school... I worry a bit, but not too much; it's definitely not easy, but I like it.

Anyway, hopefully enough of my enthusiasm came through that you weren't bored, even if biomolecules and science aren't exactly your cups of tea. For those of you that feel the same way as I do - ISN'T THIS STUFF AWESOME?!?!!



3 comments:

XOXO Dr. Kay Elizabeth said...

This IS pretty awesome stuff! It also shows me the awesomness of God, like He was so intelligent and smart to make and create us, which is also why I LOVE science. I wrote a blog post on it a day or two ago. I said science proves to me that there IS a God and makes me in awe of His awesomeness. I am happy someone else shares my same love for science and can directly related it to God's true awesomeness and what amazes me about Him.

Susan said...

I'm so glad YOU understand it and can express your thoughts and excitement because, although I cannot understand a thing, I AM still amazed at His incredible design. Then, hearing the excitement in your words makes me laugh and appreciate His wonderful design so much more. To be thrilled with His creation, as you are, truly must bring a smile to His face, too! That's awesome!!

Emily said...

I agree! Science is beautiful. It's hard to study biochem, physics, evolution, genetics, development, to learn about the balance of complexity and simplicity, and not be awestruck. Yay science!

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash