Saturday, October 29, 2011

This Tuesday = Very Important

So here's the deal: I've applied to 15 med schools. I've interviewed at one so far, and I feel like it went well. Like many schools, this school posts a list of their "decision dates" online. These are the dates when, if you didn't get in or if you get waitlisted, you will receive an email telling you so.

However: I've done some light reading on the internet (studentdoctor.net, anyone?) and have found out that this particular admissions committee meets the Tuesday before each decision date to decide who will get accepted from recent groups of interviewees. Each decision date is on a Wednesday, the next one being November 2nd, which means that the next meeting of the admissions committee will be this coming Tuesday, November 1st.

After the adcom meetings end at 6pm on Tuesdays, the assistant dean of admissions personally calls all those that the committee voted to accept. He makes his calls between 6pm and 9pm; this information was confirmed by multiple sources who received phone calls on a previous Tuesday night. Apparently if you don't get a call and they reviewed your group during that meeting, you can expect either a rejection or waitlist email the following Wednesday morning.

The personal significance of this tidbit: Someone posted online that he/she interviewed on a later week than I did, and that the assistant dean of admissions told his/her interview group to expect a decision on the November 2 decision date. That means my group will likely be reviewed that day as well, since they review multiple interview groups during each adcom meeting. Needless to say, this coming Tuesday, November 1st between 6:00pm and 9:00pm I will be paying very, very close attention to my cell phone.

Yikes.

If I get a call, I'm in - officially part of the med school class of 2016. If not... well, for the sake of sanity I won't subscribe to those thought circles quite yet. Check back here on Tuesday night after 9:00pm because whatever happens, I'll be posting an update. Until then I wait, you wait, we all wait, and wait, and wait...

Let's hope I get a call, hey?

4 comments:

a said...

I hope you'll get a call then... Best of luck, and make sure your cell has service between 6-9! Maybe even 10. I got a call from a school that has a policy similar to this one (maybe even the same one?), and my phone call was at 10pm, probably because I'm at the end of the alphabet. So have service between 6-10! :)

Justin said...

Will do, a! Thanks for the advice!

XOXO Dr. Kay Elizabeth said...

Praying for you! :)

Susan said...

Continually praying for all this, you, and those decision makers, too! Wait, wait, wait....

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash