Monday, November 21, 2011

Interview Invitation!!!

So, today's good definitely outweighs the bad.

The Good:

After The Bad (see below), I opened up my inbox to find an invitation for an interview at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine in Madison! I'm super pumped because I didn't really think I had a shot at this school. In 2009 they only interviewed 496 out of a total of 3,137 applicants. Since I'm OOS (out of state), my odds were even slimmer; they only interviewed 130 out of a total of 2,504 OOS applicants. Wow, I'm such a stats nerd... Surprising, considering how little I enjoyed statistics... Anyway, let me just say that I'm very pleasantly surprised and honored to receive this invitation to interview. The extra bonus is that this time around it won't feel like my entire future is riding on that one interview, so I think I'll be able to relax a bit better. Maybe I won't forget my interviewer's NAME this time around... Yeah, I did that, and I was too embarrassed about it to say anything until now. Luckily it was my student interviewer and he reassured me that he didn't care at all - but that I should definitely not do that with my faculty interviewer.

The Bad (which doesn't seem so bad in the face of The Good; hence, the title of this post):

Got a Biochem exam back today - very poor performance. My first truly embarrassing performance on an exam since I went back to school in pursuit of this whole medical school thing almost three years ago... Yikes. I think I mentioned this in a previous post, but about 14% of the exam was on specific plasmid DNA structures and characteristics, particularly their roles in gene replication. We had (in my opinion) hardly covered it (maybe 15-20 minutes of one class period), so I had reviewed it just enough to be able to leave everything on that section of the test blank. I mean not even any good guesses - pure blankness. Terrible. Excuses, excuses, excuses. Suffice it to say that, from the class average, I should have studied that material more than I did; I underestimated its importance and spent my time on things that weren't covered. Such is life. That, plus the Analyt quiz that I took today was abysmal - thumbs down... Overall not a good day for tests / quizzes, but a GREAT day for med school progress nonetheless.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Hey Justin! Major congrats on getting the interview invite! :) I'm sure you'll rock it.

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash