Friday, December 23, 2011

Grey Hairs

I am 26 years old and I have a lot of grey hairs for someone my age. I tease my wife of ~2.6 years that they come from marriage, as I didn't have any until well into our first year. However, I think it is more likely that they have resulted from the excessive pace at which we've had to live life over the past couple years. Working, going back to school, and managing a new marriage (let alone taking the time for family and friend relationships / issues) is no cakewalk.

We discontinued the practice of keeping track of my "grey count" (and, thankfully, that of pulling out said greys) a year or so ago. I think the last count was somewhere north of a hundred, but I'm pretty sure I called it before we found all of them. I'm also pretty sure the number has more than quadrupled since then. While you might expect me to be dismayed by this, I have actually been looking on the bright side; by the time I finish medical school and reach my residency, I will look a lot older and probably won't have to worry about patients looking at me and wondering if I'm mature or knowledgeable enough to be their doctor. I think it will probably make it easier to get the trust and respect that I will (hopefully) merit after working so hard to reach that position.

So. I am going grey, and I am ok with it. Here's hoping it makes me look more refined and mature than elderly or feeble...

1 comment:

a said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I started getting white hairs at 23. I only have 3 right now, but I keep pulling them out. I'm also changing my hair color so I can better conceal them. They're coming, and I can't do anything to stop them!

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash