Friday, December 9, 2011

Grind Me Down Day

Today (yesterday? I guess it is Friday right now...) was a Grind Me Down Day.

1. I woke up a bit earlier than usual and reviewed for my oral lab exam.

2. I took my oral lab exam, where I think I performed well, giving that the bulk of my studying took place during the previous Number 1.

3. I rode my bike (it's electric though, so perhaps "drove" would be a better word?) a few miles to get a haircut in preparation for next week's interview.

4. I went to work, not knowing that I was about to spend the next 13 hours being the busiest that I've ever been in my current position. Basically, we tried switching inventory software systems this past weekend and the new system didn't take for some reason. Now, the old system doesn't work and neither does the new one, so they have pulled everyone (including the Human Resources Department) down to the distribution center to do every part of the process by hand. It was (and continues to be) a frenzied mess. When I asked one of the corporate IT guys how long he thought this would continue, he estimated that at most another two weeks. While others have it way worse than me (I think my boss put in about 120 hours in five days this week; she was literally there for 30 hours straight at one point, slept for 4 hours, then was back at it for another 20 straight. I think she almost died.), I don't really relish the idea of that many more 12-hour days doing this work. I'd rather wait for my residency for that to begin.

5. I rode through a pleasant blizzard of snow (our first real snowfall this year!) to arrive home at around 1:45am.

6. I then wrote a paper for Analytical Chemistry. I had been planning on writing it earlier this week, but that was before the 15+ hours of overtime that I've already worked.


7. I spent approximately 8 minutes writing this, when I should have just gone to bed. Why? Because someday, when I'm in the throes of my second year of residency, I want to be able to look back at the good ol' days when I thought I was busy/tired/stressed.

I can't wait for next Thursday to be here. By then my exams will be over, I will be taking a half day off of work, and I'll be on my way to a hotel and (hopefully) awesome interview experience in Wisconsin.

Until then, let's hope I don't get ground into nothingness.

No comments:

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash