Monday, January 23, 2012

The Epitome of A Nontraditional Med School Applicant's Schedule

Right now I am experiencing that zombie-like state of lethargy that precedes severe jet lag. However, I have not flown anywhere, nor have I spent a large amount of time traveling recently... Let me explain.

I work full time in HR for a company that makes a variety of products; feel free to see the About Me section for more mundane facts. I also am in charge of all things photo-/video-/multimedia-related. This means that when a video is required for three of the products that are only made on 3rd shift, I am their go-to guy. The end result is one tired nontraditional premed applicant sitting on his living room floor typing a blog post to stay awake because he knows that if he goes to sleep he won't wake up for way too many hours and will probably sleep right through the beginning of his normal shift later this afternoon.

I went in to work at 8pm Sunday evening and didn't leave until 8:15am this morning - just in time to bike to my Biochemistry lecture (of which I'm pretty sure I only retained about 10%). I'm still debating about whether or not I should go to the Anatomy lecture that I am auditing at noon. Regardless, I have to be back at work by 1:00pm for four HOURS of conference calls followed by four hours of editing the aforementioned product video...

The biggest plus to all of this is that I also worked Saturday morning. I know it doesn't seem like a plus, but this made the past twelve hours technically fall onto the seventh consecutive day that I worked in this pay period, which means that for the past twelve hours I got paid double-time. Ues, sometimes it is fun to be hourly. Plus, I convinced my wife to let us put all the money I earned this past weekend toward a future splurge on a big screen tv. My nine-year-old big-tubed 27-incher has definitely seen better days...

Before I forget, check out this awesome comic by Dr. Fizzy, inspired by me! Seeing that more than made my day, which until now has been a bit trying...

If nothing else, today is but a smidgen of what I might be able to expect someday during residency: lack of sleep combined with a frenzied work pace while you try to maintain a professional appearance and retain knowledge, all at the same time. Granted, the stakes are much lower at the moment, and it's not like I've been awake for multiple days in a row at this point, but I'm definitely feeling the weight of the epitome of a nontraditional premedical applicant's schedule.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Don't know how you do it but I know you can! Every day is a little closer to your goal. Pretend, for a couple minutes, that you JUST NOW have made the decision to be a doctor.....and then come back to reality :) how far you've come and how quickly the time has gone. Keep up the great work!

MCAT Verbal said...

I'm a non-traditional applicant a few steps behind you in the process. I am currently a Peace Corps volunteer and worried I won't be able to keep the energy up, as an example of your schedule outlined here! yikes!

Now knowing that you made it. Is there anything you would do differently? Any tips to someone like me?

Justin said...

@MCAT Verbal - Don't be worried. If you get accepted, you are up to the challenge. Try to remember that you will grow into it. Everybody needs to find their own personal pace, and you'll be able to find yours. Try to find a good advisor too; having someone who knows the process and can give good advice and encouragement on a regular basis is invaluable. Feel free to use the Contact Me portion if you want to email me with any questions you have along the way. Good luck!

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash