Thursday, February 2, 2012

Be The Match - National Marrow Donor Program

Thanks to this post by my esteemed blogging colleague Mc(future)MD (seriously, check her out if you have the time... good stuff) I was informed about Be the Match - the Registry for the National Marrow Donor Program. It's potentially a pretty big committment; about one in 500something are matched in their lifetime, so slightly lower chance than getting into med school. The "big committment" part is because giving bone marrow is much more difficult than giving blood. Either they stick a needle into your pelvis and suck out the marrow, or they give you a drug which makes your body produce many more cell-producing cells (too lazy to look up the exact name at the moment) in your blood stream, which can then be filtered out by hooking you up to a big machine. In that one, only small needles are involved, but you feel quite ill for a few weeks.

Anyway, as a result of the above blog post, I chose to sign up. I like helping people, and if I'm a match for someone, it could literally mean the difference between life and death for them. Who knows - maybe I'll be a match for someone sooner rather than later and I'll get to help save a life before I even become a doctor! If you want to help in a potentially huge way, please consider registering to Be the Match. It's easy, as the below pictures show. Four buccal swabs and you're done! Click here for more information on how to sign up: About Be the Match.

3 comments:

Emily said...

This is fantastic, thank you for the link. I have been thinking a lot about signing up to be a bone marrow donor (for no special reason!) over the past few days- I'm taking your perfectly-timed post as a sign I should just do it already!
Also, thanks for the kind comment on my blog. I have been neglecting it lately but I'll be back soon!

Allison said...

My friend and I signed up last year, and she got matched within six months. I know that's pretty rare and it turned out that she didn't have to donate marrow (not clear on the specifics), but still, pretty cool to save someone's life. Congrats on your decision!

Code Babe Bloggess said...

Thanks for the link. I'm all set to get my kit in the mail in about 2 weeks. ♥

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash