Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Blood Pressure, Urination, and Syncope

A while back I wrote a post about some of the questions that I hope to have answered by the time I finish my medical education. This morning, I thought of a new one as I took my dog out to go to the bathroom. When your bladder is full, it takes up a bunch more space than when it is empty. However, my abdomen doesn't look any different after I urinate than it did before. How is this possible? Does the space around the bladder fill with interstitial fluid as the bladder empties? Also, it seems that as the bladder voids, even if the space around it fills up with interstitial fluid (and especially if it doesn't), this would cause a slight decrease in blood pressure. Does the heart beat faster or does the brain initiate vasoconstriction to fend off a fainting spell similar to that caused by defecation syncope? So many questions running through my head...

If you've got any answers, hunches, or thoughtful meanderings you'd like to share, please do.

1 comment:

Allison said...

My abdomen gets HUGE! I look like I'm pregnant- but thankfully, it is easily resolved.

I also have no ab muscles whatsoever, so perhaps they should be holding it in for me.

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash