Friday, April 27, 2012

Cold Sweat

Today I had my second ever "Last Class of Undergrad Education." I had the first one when I thought I was truly finished back in 2007, never knowing that in a couple years I would be right back in class, striving for medical school. I love being in class and learning, but there is just something sweet about the feeling of accomplishment when you finish something like an undergraduate education. I am glad I was able to have that ignorantly-blissful "Last Day" five years ago, as this one feels a little less...meaningful. I don't envy my fellow premeds graduating this year - the "traditional" ones - because it feels like they don't really enjoy this moment of accomplishment now as much as I did in 2007. For us in this situation it is overshadowed a bit by the looming mountain that is medical school.

When I was walking with one of the aforementioned classmates a couple of days ago, he mentioned how I have all this "life experience" that he and many others don't have. At the time, I just thought of this as all the time I have spent working at my job, or learning how to communicate in a marriage relationship, but I didn't realize the impact that this nontraditional life experience has had on my outlook until today. Medical school doesn't seem quite as huge or daunting to me because it's only four years long - and it has been nine loooong years since I was a college freshman. Hard? Yes, I know it's going to be hard, but it doesn't seem like it's going to last forever, or that it will be insurmountable in its difficulty. Plus, I won't have to be working a full-time job while I do it... Because that would be impossible. *Shudder.*

And so. I have one exam next week, and that is IT. Unfortunately, I did a small calculation and confirmed something chilling. The two-part exam next week (half recent material, half cumulative) is worth 250 points. Everything for the whole semester is worth 715 total points. That's right - this one test is worth 34.97% of my entire grade, slightly overshadowing the other three exams, four quizzes, and the research project we did. Our professor noted that she has had students go from an A to a C by failing this exam because they slacked off and didn't study toward the end of the semester. Trigger a cold sweat.

My take-home message: I will be hitting the books [note: books = digital notecards] hard this weekend. I want to end this thing with a bang, not some sort of pathetic, wet flop...

1 comment:

Susan said...

Nice vantage point comments. Finishing up strong is part of who you are....you'll do fine. Like one last push in a long distance race! Go hard, go strong! That'd be a good new slogan for an althetic shoe company :)

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash