Saturday, April 21, 2012

MSU CHM - Final Decision!


Ever since I truly dedicated myself to learning about all the different medical schools to which I applied, Michigan State University's College of Human Medicine has been my top choice. This is for a wide variety of reasons, many of which are embodied in the above photograph. This photo is of a huge engraved stone slab that graces the main entryway into the Secchia Center, CHM's Grand Rapids campus. I identify very strongly with the ideals written here in silver, which is why I feel that the "fit" between me and MSU CHM is a great one. These ideals are why I have gotten involved in many programs that seek to help members of at-risk communities. Ultimately, they are many of the qualities that I want to personify as a physician someday.

And so, let it not be a shock when I tell that you that I have officially decided to attend MSU CHM this coming fall!! I haven't shared every single high-and-low detail of my admissions process here on my blog, but this I gladly share. I am SO EXCITED to start my medical education there in August!!!

I can't wait to get a sweatshirt of this, the modified Spartans logo with the CHM x-ray skull in the center. Very cool.

Yesterday was MSU CHM's Second Look Day, which is basically a chance for everyone who has been accepted to get another look at the two campuses (in Lansing and Grand Rapids) as well as interact with faculty and current students. We began the day in Grand Rapids for tours of the Secchia Center and student Q&A panels, as well as presentations by representatives of different departments (i.e., financial aid, student affairs, etc.). We then hopped on buses for lunch during a guided tour of Grand Rapids before heading to Lansing. After continuing with a bus tour of the Lansing MSU campus, we toured the various facilities of the medical campus including the Clinical Center, Life Science building, the Radiology Building, the Learning Assessment Center and Anatomy Labs, and Fee Hall. 

We ended the day at a small expo in the Breslin Center, home of MSU's basketball team. Though the wood floor of the court was torn up for maintenance or something, I was able to get this pretty cool panorama from center court. It's interactive - check it out!



I got the chance to personally thank Dr. Joel Mauer, the Assistant Dean for Admissions, for the personal phone call he made to notify me of my acceptance to the school. I have never heard of any other schools giving every student a personal phone call when they've been accepted; it's usually done by email or snail mail. He responded that he feels like that method of delivery really exemplifies the personal attention that MSU CHM gives to each of their students, and I cannot agree more.

The day was incredible, and I couldn't be more psyched to start my education at this phenomenal school. The staff are incredible, the students were easy to get along with, and I think I will enjoy the different course formats once I get used to the swing of things. In short, yesterday got me pumped.

I will be requesting the Grand Rapids campus for a variety of reasons, first and foremost because it will be closer to my wife. That's right - we are going to need to live separately for a couple of semesters as Nicole works on her Nursing degree. Luckily, it sounds like the school will be accommodating in this matter, so I don't think it will be a problem to get placed in Grand Rapids. Plus, I already have a SWEET deal worked out to allow me to rent the basement from my wife's sister and brother-in-law for way less than I could find a room anywhere else. Blessings abound, and excitement increases that much more...

3 comments:

Susan said...

SOOOOOO AWESOME! CONGRATULATIONS! So EXCITED FOR YOU! Well deserved, Justin, well deserved!

Allison said...

Congratulations! Making the decision is no easy feat but it sounds like a great choice for a variety of reasons. Looking forward to hearing about medical school from you soon!

Mike Frazier said...

Congratulations on your decision! It's a big one. Best of luck at Michigan!

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash