Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Barefoot Running Progress

Things are going great on the barefoot / minimalist running front. On Saturday I decided it was time to push a bit, and ran two miles in my Vibram Bikilas at a 7:18 mile pace. On Sunday I backed things off a bit by running just one mile with Wife at about a 10:00 mile pace. She started later with the training, but is coming along incredibly well. Even so, I can tell it is a little frustrating for her to be running such short distances, as she just ran a marathon last fall. The good part is that all she really needs to do is strengthen her feet, and she'll be running circles around me. If, that is, I don't push myself to improve as well. Today I ran two miles at about an 8:30 pace.

I count myself incredibly lucky to have an athletic wife who challenges me to live a healthy and active lifestyle. Thanks Nicole!

3 comments:

Jess said...

Dude! Have you read the book: Run Barefoot Run Healthy?? Just read it! Awesome and so, so helpful!

Jamie said...

Glad it's going well! Just be careful! If you start getting pain in your feet you're going too fast too soon. I found that out...

Justin said...

@Jess - I haven't, but I will definitely look into it! Is that by Scott Jurek? I feel like I've heard of it,,,

@Jamie - I think I've been going at a pretty appropriate pace for myself, strengthening my calves and Achilles' tendon before trying anything insane. Yesterday was my longest run yet - 3.4 miles - and I wasn't even sore at all today! No injuries yet and feeling good (fingers crossed).

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash