Saturday, June 23, 2012

Last Day of Work

My last day at work today was filled with mixed feelings. As most of my readers know, I'm a nontraditional med schooler, meaning that I didn't hit it directly after undergrad. No, I'm one of the special few that did something else after college, mostly because I had no clue what I wanted to do.

When I graduated with my bachelor's degree in Physics and Spanish, all I knew is that I didn't want to go to grad school right away. "Maybe later." For what? Who knew! I just knew I needed a break from school. I had been an intern in a medical interpreter program at the local hospital, and they had promised me a job just as soon as I got back from traveling in Germany. A bit before I came back, I got an email stating that they needed to fill the position earlier than planned, so I would not have a job to come back to.

Awesome.

Also that week, my at-the-time girlfriend dumped me, my car (which I was letting my brother use at the time) broke down, and my luggage got lost when I cut my trip short to go home and deal with everything. I then worked as an interpreter for an OB/GYN office for a few months before getting hired as a Spanish teacher for a local company. Once they learned of my ability with technology and media development (photo and video creation and editing), they hired me on as a full-time member of their HR team.

Two years into that, I was married and turning things upside down. Gone was the desire to "someday" attend graduate school for "something," replaced by a healthy passion for attending med school, fueled by the knowledge that it's actually possible to become a doctor by following a nontraditional path. If you want to know more about my core motivation, you can read a bit from my personal statement here.

Three years later gets us to today, nearly five years into my career as a Human Resources Technician - and the day when I finally cut the cord and made things real. That's right - it's no longer, "Yeah, in a little while I'll be quitting so I can take a break and start med school in the fall."

I just quit my job. There's no going back. I was committed before, but I've now effectively cut off any possibility of a retreat. Well, perhaps that happened when I signed for my loans, but the good news is that I know I won't ever actually WANT to retreat. It's just... There's a difference between knowing that you're going to head down a path and actually taking the first true step of commitment.

As we were driving in the car today, Wife said to me, "You realize that you're unemployed now, right?"

Yeah, I realize that.

"And that now, I'M the breadwinner??" She grinned, glee practically pouring from her pores.

She works part-time.Yikes.

...

Come on, August loans...

2 comments:

Jill said...

Good luck to you as you begin this new journey.

Justin said...

@Jill - thanks very much! It's gonna be a blast.

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash