Friday, July 27, 2012

A Niece's Hug

Today, Wife and I went to the beach with Wife's family. This time that included the sister, niece, and nephew that live in Texas with Wife's brother-in-law. We don't get to see them very much, but they were here for a visit for the past week. This particular niece is five years old, and has traditionally been more reserved with me, mostly (I assume) because she doesn't get to see me very often. You know - shy smiles before burying her face in Mommy's thigh, not necessarily wanting to play games, stuff like that.

Well, that changed today. After building sand castles, playing splashing games in the water, and burying her and giving her mermaid flippers in place of legs, we all piled into the cars to get some ice cream. When I got out of my car in the parking lot, she came running over and gave my thigh me a hug before charging off to look at all the different flavors. No words were exchanged, and no eye contact was made. It was simple, but it was very cool. I found out later that she routinely hugs all her teachers at school, even telling them she loves them. She also made her hug rounds to everyone later on when we all said goodbye. Apparently, hugs are not necessarily an uncommon thing with this niece. But you know what? That doesn't matter to me, because this time I got a hug too.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Awh, now I DO know that meant a lot to you! And rightly so - a very precious moment given voluntarily! Can't get any better than that....

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash