Monday, July 30, 2012

Health Insurance

*New blog background - check it out!*

When I graduated from college the first time back in 2007, I went without health insurance for several months before finding employment with benefits. Didn't phase me a bit. Now that I'm married and Wife depends on me for insurance, the idea of being without is a bit scarier. For the next couple weeks, until I can get on MSU CHM's insurance plan, I will be without insurance. This makes me a more careful person.

For example, when working on things like building a rock tumbler, I'm more careful when sawing. The last thing I need is a trip to the ER for stitches when off insurance. I'm also more careful in my everyday activities. I don't climb the buoys at the lake, and I cringed after jumping off the pier the other day, counting my blessings that I didn't smack my head on my way in the water, and that I didn't slip getting back out.

I currently have a call in to the HR office at MSU to see if it's possible to enroll in the health insurance a couple weeks early... I'm about 99% sure it won't be an option, but we'll just see what they say. In the meantime, I'll be playing it safe with some very tame activities, including a possible trip to the coffee shop to read The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down, a surprisingly interesting book that is part of our pre-reading for this semester. Usually the books that schools give you to read before the semester are mundane, but not so in this case! I've only read the first several chapters, but it's definitely worth the read so far. I'll also probably finish the stand for a motorized time lapse panning rig I've been working on, but more on that later...

3 comments:

Susan said...

Can't hurt to check out the possibility of enrolling early in the health insurance. And, yeah, good you didn't wack your head in the lake!

Laura from medicalaidquotesonline.co.za said...

A health insurance is certainly a type of coverage that you should have for your family. You may resent having to pay a monthly premium but at least you can be sure that your family's financial security won't be compromised when illness strikes.

Dollie Meder said...

It shows in your experience that marriage really does change a person. :] I’m glad you’ve become more responsible with your health and financial decisions ever since. Having health insurance offers peace of mind, and the security that you have access to the best medical care at any moment you might need it is reassuring. And the same goes for your wife. ;]

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash