Tuesday, July 3, 2012

My Impending Move

In five weeks, I will be moving to Grand Rapids, Michigan to start med school at Michigan State University College of Human Medicine (MSU CHM). Wife will be staying behind to finish her BS in Nursing, as she only has three semesters left. The ideal plan is that she will be able to join me in GR for her third (clinical) semester, and they do a lot of collaboration with the hospitals in Grand Rapids.

MSU CHM recommends that students be relocated by August 11th to get to know the area and city before starting orientation week on the 18th. Apparently, it is going to be a pretty intense week, full of seminars on financial aid, interesting volunteer experiences, and who-knows-what else. As excited as I am to get everything started, thoughts of moving and starting things off are accompanied by some amount of trepidation.

I will have to live without my wife of three years, and that's going to be tough  insanely difficult. Now, we have been preparing for this for a while, and our relationship is solid. Regardless, no amount of preparation will make it easy. I'll probably be able to come back on most weekends, but it's just not going to be the same - especially when transitioning from this awesome summer and all the extra time that we're having together.

Aside from all that, I will also need to temporarily give my dog Naiya (who I've raised since she was a puppy five years ago) to my mom and stepdad to take care of for the next two semesters. Wife can't take care of her due to her crazy day-long schedules, and I can't take her with me to my new place. End of story: Naiya gets an extended stay away.

Long story short, even with all of all the excitement and positive emotions (and NERVES) surrounding medical school, I'm definitely not looking forward to being away from my family. That's going to be hard.

No comments:

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash