Monday, July 2, 2012

New Retina Display MacBook Pro Arrived!

So you need a special radio-frequency key fob to unlock the doors to our apartment building. You also need one to gain access to our floor, and an actual key to get into our apartment itself. This makes it tricky for delivery people to get packages to us that require a signature. If I'm not outside when the FedEx gets here, I have to drive 40 minutes to pick up the package at the nearest holding facility. I'm not able to sign a slip and leave it on the door to have the package held, and they won't call my cell phone to tell me they are outside. Our building has no buzzers.

When the tracking information showed that there would be a delivery attempt today, I took my Tervis filled with ice water (to combat the 95 degree heat) and camped out front. The fourth FedEx truck to show up finally had my package, and I'm now typing up this blog post on my new Retina Display MacBook Pro.

The whole experience of getting a new laptop has been more of an ordeal than I expected, all due to some extremely slim odds. I've always found Apple's products to be exceptionally well-made and hardy. I didn't it at first, but when I received my original Retina Display MacBook Pro it arrived with a number of problems. The battery would not last more than three hours (even when running no programs), iMove could not render videos or create keyframes, and none of the Thunderbolt ports worked. I brought it in to the nearest Apple store and (in their words) "successfully stumped the Geniuses." We spent three hours working on it, followed by 35 minutes on the phone with Apple Care. To apologize for the inconvenience, they ended up giving me 15% back in cash in the store, then sent it in for repairs.

Four days later, I got a call on my cell from the repair facility in Texas. They couldn't figure it out either and wanted to "capture" it, which means keeping it and sending it to Cupertino, CA for an in-depth look at what the heck was wrong with it. This meant they wanted to give me another new computer, but that it would take about another week before I'd get a computer. To sweeten the deal, they offered to upgrade my processor for free! Obviously, I had no problem with this. They ended up maxing out the processor speed, giving me a 2.7 GHz quad-core i7 processor in this bad boy - an additional $250 value.

And thus begins a pleasant afternoon spent transferring apps, music, videos, and documents from the old lappy to the newbie. All done inside, away from the sweltering heat outside, while watching a 1960's Star Trek marathon on Netflix, possibly punctuated by The Office, House, Hoarders... Who knows; anything goes on a day like this. I'll probably take the dog for a walk, maybe go for a run, read a bit...

Whatever I do, it will be a very relaxing day.

No comments:

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash