Saturday, July 7, 2012

Picking Blueberries


The blueberries would had been better known as giantberries.
I have no clue how many I've eaten today.
----

Michigan is known for its blueberries, and a few days ago Wife and I decided that this morning, we would go pick some of them. They're only $1.55/lb if you pick them yourself, and it's actually kind of fun. Granted, this morning was evidence of how an idea conceived three days ago doesn't always seem as great when the time for implementation comes. Our conversation this morning went something like this:

Wife, waking me up: "Hey, are you ready to go?"

Me, groggy: "To the beach, or... where?"

Wife: "No, blueberry picking!"

Me: "Ughhh..."

Wife: "Do you want to go?"

Me, groaning: "No."

I perked up after a few more seconds of being awake, and it ended up being a ton of fun. We finished the day out with about 25 lbs of blueberries, and I got some fun pics:



 



It's hard to get across just how many huge, juicy blueberries there were at this place.



I liked this photo so much, I made a huge version of it the new blog background.
The blueberry farm also had a storefront, so we checked it out: 


Nicole (aka Wife) got a blueberry/vanilla swirl ice cream cone, and I got some blueberry lemonade.
Both were delicious.




5 comments:

Susan said...

I'm sure you just boosted the amount of customers that place will have, well I guess you would have if you had mentioned what place you actually went to. But boy do those berries look good. Got to get out there do that myself! You guys always have so much fun!

Jill said...

That one in your hand is a monster! I want that! Fun post, thanks.

ahyesplans said...

Where is this place?? As soon as I get back to Michigan I'm going!!

Justin said...

@Jill - You're right, some were just huge. Nicole commented that one of them "almost filled up" her mouth!

@ahyesplans - It's called Kamphuis Blueberries, and it's definitely worth the trip. Here's the TripAdvisor page: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g42310-d2225586-Reviews-Kamphuis_Blueberries-Holland_Ottawa_County_Michigan.html

Justin said...

@Susan - Hopefully now that I've posted the name and link, they'll get some more business, though I doubt they need it. They seemed to be doing pretty well when we were there - and deservedly so!

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash