Thursday, July 26, 2012

Rock Tumbler a.k.a. Time Killer

Yesterday at 6:00pm I decided to make a rock tumbler. We found those Petoskey Stones when we went camping, and I thought it'd be cool (nerdy-cool, folks) to polish them up. Unfortunately, it would take years - literally - to polish the volume of stones I have using one of those teeny rock polishers. Those teeny ones also cost $50-$60. The larger ones like I would need are way more expensive. I wanted to do it for under $40, which is a significant portion of the allowance I have saved up. That's right - Wife and I operate under a self-mandated $30/month spending allowance. It makes you get creative, as you're about to see.


Using the above materials ($12 for wheels, $0.79 for scrap wood, $15 for a drill, and $8 for the cooler for a total of $35.79) and random scraps and screws from my toolbox, I set about making a rock tumbler. After two hours, I had come up with this:



Unfortunately, with the added resistance of rocks, sand, and water tumbling around in the barrel, the drill couldn't turn the full barrel when arranged like this - at least, not at low speeds. I had sort of expected this, thinking that I would need to choose between being able to fully load the barrel (leaving an appropriate amount of space for air and tumbling action) and doing things the simple way. I chose the difficult option, reconfiguring the motor placement like this:



It worked great for a while - until the rubber belt snapped. I think I'm going to have to either find a chain of some sort, or... I don't know, we'll just have to see. Regardless, I polished some rocks for about an hour...

In case you can't tell, I don't have much trouble keeping myself entertained while not in school.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Pretty funny! Pretty ingenious, too. That tumbler was running fast!

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash