Monday, August 13, 2012

New Place and a Whopping Blood Blister - Photos

I have officially relocated to my new, awesome place in Grand Rapids. Wife kicked it here with me for a couple of days over the weekend, but has since returned to Holland. Here are a couple shots of where I'll be spending my M1 year:

Entrance to my basement abode.

I use a bookshelf as a combination kitchen cabinet, dresser, toolbox, and bookshelf.

The couch folds out into the most comfortable bed ever - thanks to a super thick memory foam mattress pad...

In what probably was intended to be a closet, I have a refrigerator, microwave, and coffee pot.

Almost a necessity for med students, I have my own (MAGNETIC!) whiteboard. I know the med school will have way better ones available, but I like scrawling things out at home in the dead of night sometimes... Wife wrote a cool note on it when she helped me move in, but I've blurred it out in the photo just to frustrate you.

In the hall just outside my room, I have improvised a closet. Trendy? No. Serving the purpose? Heck yeah!

My killer study area. It tops off what I like to call, the Medbunker. See that chair? I got it 75% off at Staples. WINNING. Also, that deep freezer on the left is PACKED FULL of frozen meals lovingly prepared for me by Wife. Among the choices are things like Lasagna Cupcakes, Stuffed Poblano Peppers, Breakfast Burritos, Applesauce Muffins, White Chicken Chili, Kielbasa with Rice and Beans, and way more.

The Medbunker is quickly becoming part of an elaborate and on-going daydream in which I am snugged away in this bunker as a result of some catastrophic, nuclear fallout of some sort. Obviously, after a disaster of this magnitude, the world will be in desperate need of physicians. Whatever it takes to motivate me to study, right?

What the Medbunker lacks for in breathtaking views, the med school delivers. Most of you readers haven't seen the Secchia Center, where MSU CHM's campus is in Grand Rapids, so you don't know what's coming. I'll be sure to post some of the awesome views from the various study rooms around the building in the coming weeks. I'll be honest - I can't wait to get in there!

In other news, I've spent today and part of yesterday exploring the city on my electric bike, and it has been awesome. I got a sandwich at Jimmy John's, and it was delicious - and cheap! At only $4.50 for an 8-inch sub, I will definitely be returning there in the coming months...

Yesterday I played in a pick-up game of Ultimate Frisbee in the park across the street. Normally, I play in bare feet, as it is largely an endurance game, with only a nominal amount of cutting and sprinting. The guys yesterday decided to play a "box" variety. Basically, you have to pass the frisbee to a teammate inside a four-cone box to score a point. The box is small, only about 10-15 feet on a side, so you're pretty much sprinting the entire time, trying to get open to receive a pass. When barefoot, this results in massive blood blisters like this, when the pads threaten to separate from the rest of your toe:

It might look small, but my toes are the size of the average four-year-old's fists. This blister is probably about as big around as two dimes...

The worst thing is, this was my good toe. This was also after I finished scrubbing my feet, bandaging up the other toe (not pictured) whose pad actually had separated from the toe, leaving a crescent-shaped flap of thick, leathery skin atop a patch of bleeding red meat. Not cool - especially when I wanted to be running around the city this week! I would have worn my Vibrams, but of course I forgot them back at Wife's place... She'll be bringing them to me this Wednesday, but now I'm going to have to take several days off of running anyway. BLARG!

3 comments:

Susan said...

Great update! Nice room set-up,too! Sorry about your feet-funny description on the size of those blisters relative to a four year old's fist :) ha!

Anonymous said...

I think the room is kind of cozy...its weird but I think I appreciate small spaces more than large open spaces...maybe its the kid in me who still dreams of having a tree house :( Anyway, I can only imagine the excitement to start medical school! Im a nontrad as well and although I have a few years left before I apply..I dream about this all the time haha good luck bud!

Anonymous said...

I've followed your blog for some time but never thought of visiting the MSU CHM website b/c well, I've never thought about going to med school in Michigan...after looking at the website thought, wow! The school is amazing...I even met a 4th year from there not too long ago and she had nothing but great things to say.

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash