Monday, August 20, 2012

MSU CHM Orientation Day 2: Tedium & Ownership


Today was a definite change from Day 1 of orientation at MSU CHM. It was a long, looong day, full of seminars on how the classes are taught, course objectives, drug tests, ID card photos, student panels, and bussing back and forth between Grand Rapids and East Lansing. By the end of the day I was consistently hearing my own sentiments out of the mouths of many of my fellow classmates. "Enough talking about starting; we just want to start!"

This has been an incredibly long process, and we're all ready to get down to business. I've heard about a million times how hard this is going to be - how taxing it will be on every aspect of our lives. From our physical well-being to the status of our relationships to our emotional soundness, it seems like every second person is telling us that this will be the hardest thing we've ever done. I believe them, and I know they aren't trying to be discouraging by saying these things. All of the faculty and all of the second-years are saying this to try to help us prepare ourselves. They're only there to help us make the transition as smooth as possible.

The problem is, there's only so much preparing that you can possibly do before it becomes discouraging. My friend A put it well. He said, "There's one thing that I've heard consistently from all of these student panels, and it's not, 'The piece of advice I got from a second-year student during orientation that really helped me do well in med school was blah blah blah...' It's always, 'It took me a while to figure out how to study well, but after about a month I got it, and everything went well after that.' Well, I just feel like it's time for me to start figuring it out!"

I agree with A.

We should be getting out student ID cards tomorrow, so I should FINALLY be able to have access to the Secchia Center. Hooray! I really can't wait. It's the last piece that yet needs to fall into place for me to feel 100% like a student. Sort of like buying a car. You can get the paper that says you've purchased the car. You can see the car in the lot and be told by the dealer that hey, you own that car. You can even get into it while he sits there with you, filling out the additional paperwork. But you don't really feel like you own that car until he gives you the keys, you turn them in the ignition and hear the engine roar to life. Then, you own the car.

I want to give my new school a test run...

And tomorrow I get my keys.

4 comments:

Bradley Burmeister said...

I love when first years starts it is great to have new energy around!

Kristin Darr said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bradley Burmeister said...

I love when the new first years come around the energy is great!

Jill said...

I hope the ride is mostly pleasant, and not too expensive.

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash