Tuesday, September 11, 2012

First Med School Exam & Abraham Verghese

I successfully passed my first med school exam - Physiology! It actually turned out to be much harder (in my humblest of opinions) than the practice exams - and as such, much harder than I was expecting. As such, my score was lower than I had gotten on the practice exams - an 87% on the first one before studying and a 100% on the second one after studying. Regardless, I passed.

Let me explain what I mean by "passing." At MSU CHM, the first two years are done Pass / Fail. That means that, as long as you get at least a 75% in each class, you pass. Yeah - it's that hard. We throw ourselves at this material for about 10-14 hours every day of the week, all in an effort to get above a 75%. For most of us (and yes, I'm including myself in this) we do this because even though it doesn't matter to our academic record if we get a 75% or 80% or 95%, it matters to us. So even though I scored enough above the 75%-mark to be comfortable, there was still a little part of me that was pissed that I didn't perform at the same level I was used to in the undergraduate level. I know, I know - I need to think of it as Wife said it. "Honey, this is med school. You passed. That's really, really good."

I guess I'm still convincing myself of that.

In other news, Dr. Abraham Verghese, MD is coming to the Lansing campus to present a World View lecture on Monday, October 8th 7:30pm-9:30pm. I'm very strongly considering attending (I can go for FREE as a med student), but there's just one problem. My electric bike is awesome, but I can't exactly bike from Grand Rapids to Lansing - a distance of 68.2 one-way via the highway. Time to find a med student to carpool with... Anyway, check out the video below if A.) you want a great example of Dr. Verghese's speaking style and story, and B.) you'd like to understand some of what makes me happy and proud to be attending a school that puts such a solid emphasis on training physicians to see patients as more than just malady-carriers in need of a treatment/diagnosis. Enjoy!


6 comments:

Susan said...

I strongly agree with "wife"-that's very, VERY good! Congrats on the first exam now having been officially taken and passed! Nice job:))

Susan Benthem said...

Good job on passing your exam! Feel free to borrow our car to go to the lecture in Lansing if you want.

Allison said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels that way about exams :) I have yet to write about it because I still can't think of a way to put it eloquently. 75% is passing for us too.

Joshua said...

Congrats on passing the exam. It sounds like you've been studying like crazy. Keep it up. You'll do great as long as you keep at it. At that level, just passing is probably more of an accopmlishment than anything in lower level academia.

NoLongerSilent said...

Yay! Congratulations on passing your exam! You did well :)

Anonymous said...

you should read "Cutting for Stone" by Verghese...a fictional story but a lot of medicine talk in it. It's actually my favorite book of all time, especially as someone who is interested in global medicine. highly suggest it!

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash