Monday, September 10, 2012

My Quiet Space



The first two semesters at MSU CHM (called "Block I"), you pretty much have lecture for four hours straight each morning with a 5-10 minute break in between. It's 10 if the professors are running on time, but sometimes they go a little over and it comes out of the break.

Anyway, between lectures a lot of students tend to just sit in their seats and wait for the next lecture to begin. At best, some might get up and go to the bathroom or refill a water bottle. I was that way for a while too - until I remembered two things. One - just outside of our lecture hall is a patio area with an awesome, sunlit view of downtown (pictured above). Two - it will soon be WINTER outside, and this peaceful, colorful view will become much drearier.

Ever since the first week of classes, I've been making an effort to go stand out in the sun and enjoy the outdoors a little bit. Even if it's raining, there's a covered portion that I go stand under and just enjoy the peace that is inherent in the outdoors. I like big spaces, and there's nothing bigger than outside - something that is lost on you sometimes when you're surrounded by towering buildings. So, in the last ten minutes of every weekday hour between 8:00am and noon (EST), you can imagine me standing at the railing in the picture above, breathing deep breaths and smiling before heading back inside to be tackled by tackle another lecture.

One last note: my Physiology exam was this morning, and it was much more difficult than the practice exams that they gave us last week. The practice exams were helpful review, but I feel like they chose MUCH trickier questions for the actual exam... They allow us to write down what answers we filled in on the bubble sheet, and they release the correct answers online later this evening, so I won't find out my grade until after I get out of Anatomy lab around 5:15pm. Cross your fingers for me, or (as the Germans would say), "Drucken die Daumen!" (Push the thumbs!)

1 comment:

Susan said...

I like the space! Fresh air is a good idea, too ;)

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash