Monday, October 1, 2012

Phys Exam #2 - Check!

Views like this are one reason why I actually enjoy studying late at med school. I don't know what I'd do without the awesome views, both in the day and night.
Seriously, how awesome is it do see this every evening??

Today marked the start of our second round of exams with Physiology #2. If you don't know, most of our exams are on Mondays (except for those that are on Fridays... yeah.) so that we can have the weekend to cram prepare effectively. So, that's what most of us did to get ready for today's exam. Except for the occasional outlier ("Which of the following factors is NOT Vitamin K-dependent? A. Factor II. B. Factor XII. C. Factor VII. D. Factor X.  E. Factor V." Excuse me? We were specifically told by our professor - and I'm quoting - "Do NOT worry about individual factors. Just know the basics of the clotting pathways - that there is an intrinsic pathway and an extrinsic pathway, and that they are BOTH necessary for the common clotting pathway."), the exam was pretty much what I hoped for. It was the kind of exam that they could have made really hard or really easy, and I think they put it just a little on the hard side of "middle," which I'm ok with. This is, after all, medical school. Stuff's hard.

Now, it's back to the worlds of Biochemistry and Anatomy. While I'm caught up on lectures, I feel behind in reviewing said lectures. The professors tell us to not to switch our focus from one class to another based on when the exams are, but I honestly don't know of another way to do it. How do you not focus on Physiology when the exam is three or four days away and you know the Anatomy and Biochem exams are more than a week off? The only way I can think of to not do that is to quit sleeping, which I'm not quite willing to do - yet. We'll see what happens after round two of Biochem and Anatomy a week from now...

Right now we're doing Head and Neck in Anatomy, and it is a doozy of a unit in terms of volume and specificity. I had no clue we had so many muscles in the neck, and the number of nerves and vessels puts the number of muscles to shame. To SHAME. We get these packets of objectives in the "Directed Study Group" (mine is three hours long every Monday night) that show lists of objectives like this:



The Head & Neck packet has six pages of those objectives that we need to know and be able to identify on cadavers. I'm not complaining at all (I actually really like memorizing where everything is and thinking about what muscles are moving someone's mouth when they're yawning or sneezing or grimacing), I'm just stating some facts so you can get an idea of what this is like for med students. When I think about how every doctor that I've ever met or heard about has gone through this process, I feel my intrinsic respect for them increase dramatically.

So the next time you go to the emergency room or visit your doctor and he/she is hurried or frazzled or maybe shows his/her imperfection humanity in some other way, think about everything they went through to get to that point. Most doctors really do deserve our respect for what they've done with their lives, and that respect isn't always evident when we get bothered when we have to wait, or if a doctor makes a mistake.

All right, I've spent longer on this than I'd planned, and now it's time to prelab for this afternoon's Anatomy lab: "Eye and orbital contents, Ear." Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Couldn't agree with you any more on those last comments! Knowing the little more that I do "from the inside" from following your pathway through this WHOLE process has increased my respect by about a billion percent! Way to go and thank you!

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash