Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Ankles, Acetabula, and Aleatory Opportunity

When I moved into the Medbunker, I had no idea what med school was actually going to be like. I thought I had an inkling. I knew it would be hard. I definitely didn't know I would be studying ankles and acetabula using the above setup... Life is hard, but cool in the nerdiest way possible right now.

Some rather exciting news in the works - but first, some background. Oddly enough, there seems to be a trend with how I find / fall into jobs and experiences.

1. On my first day of undergrad classes, I approached a member of the physics faculty and asked about research opportunities. The next day, I became part of a nuclear physics research group. That led to 2.5 years of experience in which I constructed a neutron detector, became the youngest licensed operator of Notre Dame's Van De Graaf particle accelerator at age 19, and eventually led to multiple publications.

2. Later on in undergrad, I asked a local non-profit about any English as a Second Language (ESL) opportunities in the area. That led to a three-year experience in which I taught classes in and became the student director of a program that was eventually incorporated into my undergraduate institution's Spanish curriculum, wherein Spanish students could earn credit by teaching and volunteering in ESL classes taught to adults from the community.

3. During the ESL experience, I approached the multicultural coordinator at the local hospital about starting an internship program shadowing medical interpreters, and that led to an eight-month experience and a job as a medical interpreter.

4. While working as a medical interpreter, I started doing some part-time work as a Spanish instructor at a local manufacturing company. When they found out that I also did multimedia work and had a variety of other experiences, they hired me full-time as a Human Resources technician. That experience lasted five years, all the way until I started medical school.

So. There is a slight trend here, and it appears that it is going to continue. I approached one of my Anatomy professors about whether or not there might be any open positions for this summer, as my wife will be moving here, and I would really like to earn some money working with something I enjoy. In case you haven't picked up on it (or you're new around here), I like Anatomy quite a bit. When I asked my professor about opportunities, she replied, "Now that's funny. I was JUST thinking about where I might be able to find someone who might be able to fill some positions around here this summer!" Today, she sent me an email stating that I have been approved for 250 hours of work over this coming summer, between the end of June and the middle of September! It'll be a mixture of helping augment / improve the curriculum and presentations, working as a TA for a medical anatomy illustration course taught in conjunction with the Kendall School of Art and Design, and working in the cadaver lab to help identify specific lab objectives on various bodies. Fun stuff!

So there you have it. I have the beginnings of a plan for how I will spend the "last summer of my life," as Wife's brother-in-law put it. Speaking of Wife, she'll be (hopefully) finding a job in a hospital somewhere in the Grand Rapids area, getting her foot in the door before her last semester.   ;)

All right, it's been a long day studying, so I should hit the hay. I think I made it through something like 150 practice questions and around 250 pages of coursepack reading - all on about 4.5 hours of sleep. I'm exhausted. Tomorrow will be spent largely in the lab and taking practice tests, so wish me luck!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Congrats on the summer job!! Great experience for sure...is it a connector to future paths????

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash