Saturday, December 8, 2012

The Perfect Christmas Gift for a Med Student - Bose QuietComfort 15 Headphones

I present to you the Perfect Christmas Gift for a Medical Student: 

In case you're wondering, I am NOT getting paid to write this review; I just think they're THAT good, and I figure there are a lot of proud parents/spouses/generous friends out there with med students in mind this Christmas. Wife got me these for our third anniversary (the "leather" gift year; the earcups are an amazingly soft and comfortable black leather).

As I write this, I am listening to Lights (Bassnectar Remix) by Ellie Goulding on these headphones, and It. Sounds. Amazing. Granted, these headphones could make anything sound good, so when you start off with a great song with high, dynamic ranges, you're in for an experience. Honestly, they play anything well, and my tastes in music range from metal to classical to electro-hip-hop to acoustic guitar to dubstep to indie rock to latin jazz to ska and punk. Pretty much the only thing I don't like is country. *Shudder.*

Anyway, it's generally understood that every med student has his/her own very specific study environment preferences. If you've known a med student while they're studying, or if you've ever talked with one about how they study, you know what I'm talking about. They're almost as particular about how/where/with whom they study as they are about their pens. Special side-note thanks to Albinoblackbear for that tip almost a year ago now; that's the only pen I use now, whenever I'm not taking notes on my iPad. The best thing is, Wife just texted me this picture the other day along with the message: "Finished the red pen... time for a refill... Good thing I ordered those a few weeks ago!"


But back to the headphones. They come standard with two different cords - one with an in-line remote that works with all Apple devices (hooray!) and one without. They're powered by ONE AAA battery, and they last about 30-35 hours per charge depending on how loud you have the volume. Probably the best feature is that you don't have to use them with music. You can simply unplug the cord from the headset and choose to only use the noise-cancelling feature. Oh, did I not mention? They're noise-cancelling headphones, and they work WONDERS.

You see, not everyone likes to study with music all the time. Sometimes, a med student just wants some peace and quiet. For example, I like music most of the time, but when I am taking practice tests, I just want it to be as quiet as possible. Sometimes I just get tired of music, too. So I load up on caffeine (music helps me stay awake) and enjoy some smooth, calm silence.

The Bose QuietComfort 15 headphones are so comfortable, I regularly wear them for hours on end without even noticing them. Sometimes if I'm too warm, like if I just got out of the shower or just ran a few miles, it can be a little warm to have the phones cover my ears, but that's true of any over-the-ear headphone. This isn't a big deal to me, but for those for whom it would be, they have another, more expensive model.

They especially come in handy with my current living situation. I live in the basement of Wife's sister's and brother-in-law's house. They have three kids, ages 6, 4, and 2. Sometimes, there's a bit of whining, a bit of crying, and a bit of coffee table flipping general commotion from upstairs. With these things on and a little bit of music playing, I can't hear a thing. NADA. It's study haven BLISS.

Remember this picture? Well, about six inches to the right of my table is the hot water heater that BLURBLES every time someone runs the hot water. Two feet to the right of THAT is the furnace that kicks on every twenty minutes when it's extra cold out. With these headphones on, those noises cease to exist.

But what about getting tossed around in a backpack all the time? Won't they get broken? you ask. Hah! They come with a deluxe, foam-padded zippered case that keeps them perfectly safe from drops and crushings:


It even has a special zippered compartment inside for storing extra cables / batteries. I always keep a spare, charged, rechargeable AAA for that inevitable moment (about once a week, with my extremely heavy usage) when the one I'm using conks out:


As for how the noise-cancelling works, I don't know the specifics. If I did, I'd be in the wrong field. All I know is that they have microphones in each headphone that sample ambient noise, selecting for low-frequency things like whooshing air, motor noises, that sort of thing. The headphones then emit a wave into the earcups that actively cancels out the ambient noise sensed by the microphones, so that all you hear is your music. It's amazing.

Plus, they just look awesome, and they're not overly big, in my opinion:



If you get these for that beloved med student in your life, he/she will NOT be disappointed.

3 comments:

Albinoblackbear said...

Hahah, I was wondering why one of my posts from ages ago was getting so many hits! :D

Yes, the pens are THE BOMB. I was just using my pink and orange ones to illustrate the cells of the immune system to my nephew who is studying for his bio 20 final. I think I was much more excited about T-helpers than he was! hahah

Hmmm, was interested to read your thumbs up on the headphones. I've purchased and returned so many "noise cancelling" cans that didn't cancel enough noise for my liking. Will maybe give those a whirl.

Anonymous said...

What pens are those!?!? They discontinued my old ones and those look very very similar in ink width/quality. Please and thank you!

Justin said...

@Anonymous - Pilot Hi-Tec-C. Order online at jetpens and get free shipping on orders over $25: http://bit.ly/13lIw6h

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash