Saturday, January 12, 2013

Blast from the Past

Wife and I were looking back through some of my old blog posts in which I mentioned her. Below is an excerpt from a post I wrote three weeks before taking the MCAT when we were living in a house that had a few... extra guests. It was amusing. Enjoy!


"Our house has a million spiders. They don't bother me in the least, but Wife freaks out so badly EVERY TIME she sees one! She won't let me rest until I have killed it for her. As I type this, she just noticed two on the ceiling. I told her that this time, she needed to vacuum them up or something because it drives me crazy to have to get up every time she sees a spider. Honestly, it's not too much of a hassle if it's one or two spiders every couple of days, but this has been maybe ten or twelve spiders a day. Invariably, there are three or four spiders on the ceiling when we go in there at night. I'll get the spiders every time, but this time, it can wait until I'm done, or she can get - oh wait, she just brought the vacuum back into the room, and is now sucking them off of the ceiling. Now I'll write what she's screaming out over the noise of the vacuum:

Wife: "Oh! This is a big one! Got him!! There's another!" She turned the vacuum off and is looking through the plastic of the dust collection bin. "Oh great, now what happens to them? They're just crawling around in there!"

Me: "Well, they're probably just going to crawl around until they find a way out. Or until they die."

Wife: "I'm gonna vacuum some other stuff to kill them!" She took the vacuum out into the hall and started it up again. Now, from down the hall I hear: "Swirl around in there! SWIIIRRRRL!! Swirl around and DIE!!! You are the bane of my existence!"

The vacuum turned off. I can hear her wrapping up the cord.

Wife just came back into the study and sat down primly at the table across from me. I can tell she's very proud of just killing the spiders.

Way to go, Wife."


Ahhh, good times...

2 comments:

Jill said...

I understand her pain. I am currently waging war with stinkbugs. I hear it's a bad year for them.

Anonymous said...

I have gotten better with spiders and will usually dispatch the creepy crawlee without much in the way of hysterics any more. Bees, hornets, and wasps, however, are another story entirely. Can't stand the things.

One summer day, with my newborn safely ensconced in her car seat, I backed out of my driveway into the street only to realize that I was sharing the car with a hornet! AAAAGGGHHHHHHH!!! I opened all of the car doors and, with the car still in the middle of the street (and running), I jumped out of the car flapping my arms and screaming. (This from an ICU/ED nurse who can handle traumatic amputations, enucleations, cardiac arrests, overdoses, and foreign body invasions without batting an eye.)

Then I remembered my daughter and dragged her and her car seat out of the car, setting her down in the middle of the road.

We stood there waiting until the hornet found its way out of the car and I could convince the motorist behind me that he needed to check my car for bees before I would get back in and drive away.

Sigh. So embarrassing. I feel for you, Wife! Tricia

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash