Sunday, January 20, 2013

Studying Michael Scott-Style and Microwaved Green Beans

I have a very photogenic wife.
I have completely returned from vacation mode to study mode - which is a good thing, given that my first Physiology exam (over the Endocrine system) is this coming Tuesday morning. Wife and I have been killing it all weekend so far, after a fun-filled (i.e. ping-pong-filled) evening on Friday when my mom came up from Kalamazoo for competition and dinner. We tried out a new Chinese place and loved it!

Yesterday, after having taken Friday evening off, I felt kind of like Michael Scott from The Office. His boss had caught him watching a movie with all of his employees during work hours. Their conversation (as best I can remember it):

Boss: "How could you have possibly thought this was a good idea?!?"

Michael: "Um... Well, it increases productivity."

Boss: "Really. How?"

Michael: "Well, they work faster, after..."

Boss: "What, magically??"

Michael: "No, they have to. To make up for the time spent watching the movie."

So, yesterday I studied for 11.5 hours straight with only an 18 minute break to eat, making this awesome Excel workbook full of endocrinology tables on everything from organs/tissues, blood/lymph cells, hormones (oh the HORMONES), interaction between the hypothalamus and pituitary hormones, general classes of hormones, and insulin analogues. It's rather insane. If you're a med student (or ever hope to become one), I would recommend the table. It's not quite complete, as we weren't required to know everything about each specific hormone, but it's got a lot of information packed into it.

So yeah, now Wife and I are back at the Secchia center, studying away. I have Martin Luther King, Jr. day off tomorrow, which is what the exam isn't till Tuesday. However, I also have a ton left to do for Physiology, Microbiology/Immunology, and Epidemiology before I'll begin to feel marginally prepared. So I should really stop writing. But before I do, check out how I make perfect steamed vegetables in my microwave!

1. Buy ~3 months of food from Aldi. $90 bucks.
2. Get microwave veggie steamer from store (Meijer?), put water in bottom, put in frozen green beans.
Microwave 4 minutes.

3. Add a little salt and pepper, then consume perfect green beans. Yum.
 4. Make mental note to buy a fork with closer-together tines. Or fatter green beans.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Um, I'm not very photogenic based on that picture of me...

Susan said...

I noticed that the tines WERE a bit far apart! And Nicole, you ARE pretty photogenic!

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash