Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Physical Exam Part 2

Image from http://www.ccjm.org/content/75/4/297/F3.large.jpg
Now that I'm in my second semester, I get to start learning the core physical exam. I wrote about the gist of it here, and I'm twenty minutes away from the second session of learning in which we'll be taught the Nose, Mouth, Lymph Nodes of Head and Neck, Thyroid (anterior approach), and Percussion & Auscultation of the Posterior Thorax and Back. This last is what I'm most looking forward to - tapping around and listening to sounds that will someday help me diagnose a whole slew of conditions! As a drummer/percussionist (oh, you didn't know that I played drumline in high school and have played set for a bunch of different bands throughout high school, college, and after?) tapping on stuff is right up my alley.

So wish me luck, as things are getting much more medical in nature around here these days. One of my classmates commented after our first Neuro lecture this morning, "Classes this semester are just a lot... BETTER than they were last semester..." I agree. We're slowly moving away from the "basics" and starting to use the things that we're actually LEARNING as we then learn new stuff.

Movin' on up!

4 comments:

Jill said...

Glad the enjoyment-o-meter is going up.

Susan said...

Haha, tap away,Justin! Right up your alley!

Allison said...

Same! But I'm also beginning to think that year 1 could just be renamed: "DIABETES."

Justin said...

@Jill - It definitely is! I'm liking this semester MUCH more than last, now that Biochemistry is out of the way...

@Susan - Thanks!

@Allison - Agreed. To sum up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8l8_G_ce_Q

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash