Monday, April 8, 2013

Saying Goodbye


This past weekend, my family and I traveled to the east side of Michigan to bury my grandfather's remains. Everything went as he would have wished it, right down to the hymns, eulogy, and military ceremony, which included an American flag draping his casket, being folded, and presented to his eldest son by a representative of the Air Force. My grandfather was a mechanic in the Air Force during World War II, and he was probably the most patriotic person I have ever met.

It was good to have been able to attend the funeral, both to say goodbye one last time to my grandpa, as well as to see some family that I haven't seen in several years. Funerals are an unusual experience - both happy and sad as you rejoice in retellings of the loved one's life, and mourn their loss at the same time. He had a long life, and he made it count in many ways. It was definitely worth the sacrifice in time that it took to attend - despite the Micro exam that I took this morning, it was worth it. After all - when I die someday, would I want my grandson to not come or skip out early just because he wants to add an extra 7% to his Micro grade? No. There's more to honoring my ancestor than that.

And so, this weekend is passed, and my grandfather lies beside his wife of 54 years. It was sad. It was good. And now I move on, plugging away at med school, hoping to make him proud with how I live my life.

3 comments:

Jill said...

You were right to go.

Rodney said...

You already have, Justin.....you already have.

Susan said...

Beautiful post, Justin. And I KNOW you're making your grandpa proud. What's not to be proud of?

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash