Saturday, June 8, 2013

My New Niece!

Introducing my older brother's firstborn daughter - Abigail Nicole!

That's right - my first blood-niece (isn't THAT just the least appealing way to put it, haha) was born on Friday, June 7th at 9:24am. In my last post, I said that my next post would be more medically related, so here's the part where I combine what I really want to be talking about with some medical facts that will be interesting to many of my more medically-minded readers - particularly my fellow med students, who just got done studying infant development facts for our last exam:

While initially projected to be 10.5 lbs based on her measurements via ultrasound, she ended up weighing in at a definitely-still-respectable 9 lbs 0 oz. (4.09 kg) at birth. Her head circumference was 14.75 inches (37.465 cm), and her length was 21 inches (53.34 cm). This puts her squarely in the 90-95th percentile for weight, head circumference, and length! No gestational diabetes - she was just a bit over-baked, being several days overdue - but the large size did result in a necessary C-section. Hence, the perfectly shaped head as shown above!

When I asked my brother if he's been trying out any of the cool newborn reflex tricks we've talked about, he responded that they've mostly been treasuring the moments when she sleeps, which I can accept. I can almost pity my future firstborn child (not to mention my Wife), as I could imagine me completely over-testing the Moro reflex, hand/toe grasp, rooting reflexes (and the ATNR once it shows up) to an absurd degree. Babies are fun to mess with when you know a bit about what's going on in their nervous system (assuming everything's healthy), but nobody (except maybe doctors, since it means their lungs / diaphragm / vocal chords / brain / heart are working well) likes a fiercely crying baby.

But anyway - here's a big CONGRATULATIONS! to my brother and sister-in-law on their beautiful new baby girl, Abigail Nicole. Way to go, you guys! Here are a couple more pictures taken via FaceTime:

That's my older brother - look at his fatherly pride!
Thick head of hair.
Despite the apparent cranky-pants she'd been the night before, she slept throughout the entire conversation, hardly stirring a bit, except for opening her eyes once when he held her up to the iPad.

1 comment:

Jill Thomas said...

Congratulations! She's a sweety.

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash