Wednesday, June 5, 2013

XtraFinder - Terrible Name, Awesome App


I normally extremely dislike when things are spelled phonetically when there's a traditional spelling. Things like "Kidz Konnection," bug the crap out of me, so I was non-plussed when I randomly found the app called "XtraFinder." I was hesitant because I'm actually pretty crunched for time at this point in the semester (four exams in the next seven days - Autonomic Pharm Drugs this morning, Clinical Skills Friday, Radiology Tuesday, Pharmacology again next Wednesday) and I didn't want to waste time looking into something called "XtraFinder."

This taught me to not judge something based on its having a ridiculous name.

XtraFinder is the answer to every single one of the pet peeves I've built while using Mac OS X Finder over the past several years. It came out at the beginning of LAST MONTH, and it does wonders for the user experience in Finder. So much so that I felt it worth my time to quickly write about. And it's FREE! Not temporarily free. COMPLETELY FREE. Amazingness. Some of the features:

- Copy AND PASTE
- Autosize columns in finder windows
- TABBED FINDER WINDOWS
- Hot-keyable actions
- Press Return to open selected item
- Press Delete to go back to previous folder/location
- Ability to show hidden items
- Ability to copy paths!
- Display folder item counts in the "Size" column when in list view - so no more guessing about whether something's still in a folder!
- Much, much more...

Seriously, if you're on a Mac, check it out for a supreme boost in convenience and customizability:

I promise, the next post will be much more relevant to my experience moving through med school, but this was too good to pass up...

1 comment:

Neft & Neft Realtors said...

It is a GREAT app. I've been using the Tabs feature and LOVE the auto column sizing feature which use to drive me crazy. Maybe they should have named the app "Finder Fixer"!

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash