Tuesday, July 2, 2013

I Am Now an M2

My M1 Year is OVER.

That's right - I am finished with my first year of pre-clinical work. That's two regular semesters and a 7-week summer semester at MSU CHM done. The list of courses is as follows:

Fall Semester:
- Medical Gross Anatomy
- Medical Biochemistry
- Genetics
- Clinical Skills I
- Integrative Clinical Correlations
- Cell Biology & Physiology I
- Mentor Program Year I

Spring Semester:
- Epidemiology & Biostatistics
- Clinical Skills II
- Basic Principles of Pathology
- Integrative Clinical Correlations II
- Medical Microbiology & Immunology
- Medical Neuroscience
- Cell Biology & Physiology II

Summer Semester:
- Medical Pharmacology
- Introduction to Radiology
- Clinical Skills III

I have never worked so hard as I worked this past year. NEVER. The volume was everything it was hyped to be - something I couldn't understand until I was in the thick of it... And now, this first year is behind me. I've made a ton of new friends, and I know that once I'm done with this summer (and have benefited from the restorative power of relaxation) I will be ready to tackle my second year with great fervor.

Since I got kind of caught up with Pharmacology (it was tough) toward the end of last semester, I haven't been posting much, and I have some news! First the back story. Since Wife and I were spending our time in two different cities for the bulk of each week this past year, we send my pupper Naiya to live with my mom and stepdad for the year. Well, they grew incredibly kind of attached to her, and we have decided to let her stay with them forever. I had Naiya since before Wife and I were married, and so she and Wife never really bonded that well. Thus, we have decided to get a golden retriever puppy! 

We figure the best time will be this summer, when I really don't have anything to do other than potty train it. This coming year I will have a much more flexible schedule, since I'll only have about 4-8 scheduled lecture hours per week, with most learning being self-directed. We have a deposit down for a recent litter, and we will be able to take a puppy home in about three weeks!! Very excited. They'll look like this around the time when we'll be bringing them home:



With both Wife and I doing a lot of our work from home this summer, we're looking forward to a great time with the new pupper. Not 100% sure whether we'll be getting a male or female at this point; the litter had six females and two males, and we're fourth pick. Originally Wife was leaning toward a male, but she has started waffling of late. We'll see!

Expect a flurry of posts in the next couple weeks as I work through a backlog of half-started and theorized posts, reviews, and ponderings over the first year before all my memories fade into the glorious haze of summertime. We've already made one trip to the beach, and I've been relishing in doing virtually NOTHING other than that for the last two days, but I don't want to let too much time go by without getting some of my thoughts down.

This post is long enough though, so I'll leave you with this victorious cry of exultation:

I AM AN M2!

5 comments:

Jill Thomas said...

Congratulations! YOu've worked hard, and done your best, now relax and enjoy your wife and the puppy while you have some time off. I hope your M2 year goes well.

Carrie Hsu said...

Congratz on finishing the year! The puppies are adorable. Looking forward to pictures of yours in three weeks!

Susan said...

Congratulations, Justin, on a very fantastic year! You've worked very hard and have accomplished your goal and I'm so excited for you! Enjoy the time off and that new puppy coming :-)

NoLongerSilent said...

Congratulations on becoming an M2! We'll be in the hospitals next one more year! Can you believe it?

Well, I hope you are enjoying the break!

Joshua said...

Congrats. Enjoy your short break.

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash