Sunday, September 29, 2013

Adult Hospital Visit Experience - Clinical Skills

Tomorrow I have my Adult Hospital Visit clinical experience. In this organized experience, I will go to the hospital and take two hours to talk to a patient, learning about his or her medical history and the history of the present illness. I will be responsible for learning basically anything relevant to that patient's medical reality - family history, social history, allergies, medications, symptoms, etc. Then, I will perform a core physical exam. Remember the one that I learned last year? Well, time to put it to use! It has been a while since I did it, but I've been surprised at how fast it has come back to me with just a little review.

Anyway, after completing the core physical exam, I will be making an oral report to either a resident or an attending. They will have been floating around and observing as we interview and examine the patients, and they will no doubt already know everything that we should have picked up from the interviews and exams. After the oral report, the docs will critique us, telling us what we did wrong and (hopefully) what we did right. I've also heard that they will give us tips for how to do things more effectively during the actual physical exam. I'm looking forward to this part the most, but it's probably also the part that makes me the most nervous. Presenting a REAL patient to a REAL doctor for the first time. Stuff's getting real...

After presenting to the physician, I and my fellow med students will need to write everything up in a complete History and Physical. It's this rubricized (fun new word, that) way of recording everything that we gathered and reported into the patient's health record. Granted, they would never actually use anything created or written up by second year medical students on their first actual attempt at this, but we need to do it like we're serious. Because, after all, we are getting a grade for this - even if it's only two percent of our total Clinical Skills grade for the semester.

All in all, it should be fun. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Awesome! Sounds very cool to put the skills to work on a real life person!! Have a great time-you'll do great :)

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash