Monday, October 7, 2013

Infectious Disease is DONE!

A snapshot of my annotated First Aid for the USMLE Step 1.
I might be am definitely including too much information...
But it's working so far, so...
Hmm.
Hooray! Infectious Disease is DONE! I've heard about the horrors that comprise the Hematology / Oncology domain, which is coming up fast, but right now I'm just reveling in the fact that ID is out of my way. Going into this morning's test, I was just hoping and praying for a pass. I really did NOT feel like I knew the material well. And this is after a weekend full of cramming following three weeks of studying pretty hard. Bugs and drugs just haven't been my thing historically, and this exam was almost completely that, with a little immunology, ethics, and epidemiology thrown into the mix.

Amazingly enough, I am happy to say that I not only passed, but managed a strong mastery of the material. For various reasons, I decided a while back that I won't be sharing my exact scores here on my blog. It constantly surprises me who (after being introduced to me) shares with me that they've "been reading for a couple of years now!" or that they "think Hobbes was just the cutest when he came home for the first time!" It's definitely flattering and fun that so many people are reading, but since it's not the hardest thing in the world to figure out who I am, it can't hurt to keep some modicum of opacity to things...

Enough of that kind of talk. Today was awesome, on the whole. After the exam, we always have an hour of PBL to kick off the next domain. If you're looking for an idea of how first year is different from second year here at MSU CHM, I wrote a post on it a little bit ago. After that, we have the exam review session, where we can compare our answers on the exam questions with the correct responses, challenging (in writing) the questions that we think were wrong / flawed / unfair. They usually give back a couple of the questions, marking them right for everyone. Let's face it - most med student's are pretty smart, and they'll find the one place in the textbook that makes multiple answers to a question true. That's just how we roll.

After that, it was off to The Omelette Shoppe with me for some alone time, just me and a fiction book. I know, it's a bit ridiculous that this is how I blow off my steam but... Whatever, I enjoy my food and reading time! Plus, after that I went back and took Hobbes for a 2.2 mile run. I'm a bit out of shape, and he's still got puppy legs, so we're a pretty even match at the moment. The rest of the day was full of television, catching up with communication a bit, time with Wife, and puppy class as a family. Hobbes graduated from puppy kindergarten tonight, which was great. I'm glad to be done with that experience. It was great socialization, but Hobbes didn't really learn much from the whole thing other than what it's like to be humped by Bleu for an hour every Wednesday night. It was good for us to do, as we learned some good training techniques, but overall I'm glad it's done! Unfortunately, this means Hobbes is firmly into adolescence, and the trainer warned us that there would likely be some "regression" in training if we don't keep up with things. I don't think this will be a problem for Hobbes, as he was the star pupil, but you never know...

All right, enough for now. Tomorrow is the real kick-off to the Musculoskeletal Domain, starting with four hours of lecture in the morning, followed by shadowing my mentor for a few hours. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Susan said...

CONGRATULATIONS and now mark it off with a big, fat, check mark!! Nice, I mean, SPECTACULAR job! Proud of you :)

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash