Tuesday, October 1, 2013

The Health Insurance Marketplace - HealthCare.gov



During a study break today I read a very informative article by the Washington Post about how our government has shut down a large portion of its services because it can't figure out how to fund itself, I thought I'd take a second to see what kinds of options the new health insurance marketplace offers. I was hoping to find an instance of our government succeeding to counteract this failure... I wanted to compare my new options with the health insurance I currently have through MSU. As it turned out, even in this "virtual marketplace" where there are "no lines," I had to wait. In a virtual line. FOR TWO HOURS. 

But I can get past this - assuming it's not (as my friend Antonio put it) a "marketing strategy to make people think everyone is rushing to get it," haha. Who knows - maybe they really did underestimate the amount of bandwidth the Uninsured of America would need to be able to view the site on roll-out day. Anyway, once it finally let me into the website and I made it to the third page of account creation, I had to select and answer some security questions. The problem was, the web page didn't work. Nothing happened when I clicked on the drop-down boxes to select security questions. They just flashed, and nothing selectable appeared, not even a blank drop-down menu. I clicked "Back" and reloaded the page. Nothing. Two hours of waiting completely wasted. If I tried to skip this step, a red error message showed up under the "Answer 1" field telling me that this field is required.


FAIL.
So, I was left with no choice other than to close the page and call it a wash, starting another two-hour waiting session to see if another browser would work. I'm just glad I'm not a single parent working part-time who doesn't have a computer and so went to the public library and waited for two hours to try to enroll for insurance for his kids, only to have this happen. Because you know that if this happened to me, it's happening to loads of people all around the country right now.

No comments:

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (22) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (29) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (55) funny (21) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (53) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (3) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (25)
HyperSmash