Monday, December 30, 2013

Christmas Break Recap

It's been over two weeks of break, I've had hardly anything to do, all the time in the world to do it, and I've hardly posted. Definitely slacked off on the blog...

Sorry.

A little.

You see, I've been living the life. I've actually RELAXED this break - unlike last Christmas break. I've spent time with Wife (who also has completely failed at journaling via blog, though long before I began my fail...), Hobbes (who now weighs a healthy 52.6lbs and is well on his way to a hefty 70-90lbs just like his dad), and various other family members. Break has been amazing.

I've also toured the med school, aeromed program, and emergency medicine residency at Western Michigan University, as well as started to schedule a ride-along in the emergency response service operated by the EM residents there. Big thanks to my little sib at CHM for using his grade-A connections to pull all that off.

Other updates, other updates... Oh! Hobbes had surgery on his right paw to remove a deformed dew claw. Big bummer there, as we had to take a 10-day break from playing. No running, no jumping, and no going outside without a bandage and a big plastic bag driving him crazy. That's all over now though, and his scar has solidified just fine so far - just a little left to heal over.

Christmas with both sets of my parents went great, and Christmas with Wife's family commences tomorrow morning. After that, we're going to see The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, which is supposed to be phenomenal. After THAT, we're going to celebrate the New Year's Eve in total introverted nerdstyle. We're looking at a quiet, relaxing night in with Thai food, bubble tea, other snacks and drinks, movies and games - all night. Can't wait!

I'm hoping to put up a photo post of what's gone on over break in a little bit, but I have my doubts about whether or not it'll happen... Just not sure. Frankly, I'm doing my best to live an unregimented life for as long as I possibly can until I have to go back to every day being thoroughly scheduled out. This semester, we'll all be killing ourselves gearing up for the USMLE Step 1 Licensing Examination, which I've signed up to take in June of 2014. It's a beast - eight hours long, covering everything from the first 2 years of medical school. My school recommends using The Step 1 Method by Dr. Dan Gabremedhin, MD. After reading it and attending a talk by him on the subject, that's what I'll be doing. Actually, I've already (half-heartedly) begun, but I'll be really hitting the practice questions harder starting this week and continuing throughout this semester.

Anyway, sorry for the long hiatus, but it was necessary. I'll be back into posting once I'm doing more stuff on a regular basis. Until then (or until the photo post idea I floated earlier materializes), have a great holiday season and a happy new year!

2 comments:

NoLongerSilent said...

Glad to hear that you are having a great break. I think it's important to set aside some time to relax and hopefully your readers can understand/relate. Good luck on your boards prep and the rest of 2nd year!

Jill Thomas said...

It's good to take a break and really relax once in a while. I hope your next semester goes well for you.

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash