Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act

So, I'm a bit behind on my studying for the weekend, and my landlord is about to stop by and deliver a new refrigerator, which I'm going to need to help install. Thus, I'll keep this short.

In our second semester of Ethics, we've been talking a lot about health policy. Given the recent years' advances of Obamacare, the air is just ripe with political and ethical fruits to discuss. This week, we're talking about the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, known commonly as just the Affordable Care Act or ACA.

Everyone talks about it, but very VERY few people have read it. I'm not one of them, and I don't plan to be. Oh, I thought about it, but for a while I couldn't find a copy of the whole thing. Granted, "a while" in the era of Google constitutes the approximately six minutes before I found the copy online. To save you the time, here it is:


If you clicked that and glanced at the page count, you'll realize why I (and most other people who don't have endless time) haven't read the ACA. Including the table of contents, it's 906 pages long. That's about as long as the average epic fantasy novel. So, would I rather read 906 pages about Hobbits and Dragons, Aes Sedai and Trollocs, or Accountable Care Organizations and Allowable Variance in the Levels of Coverage? Yeah...

Anyway, if you're so inclined to read it, there you go. Let me know if you come to any earth-shattering conclusions about the future of our healthcare system. I'm going to try to understand more about nephrons. Out.

No comments:

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash