Friday, February 28, 2014

Spring Break = Spring Blitz


Last year during Spring Break, I led a group of med students on an elective class to Costa Rica where we learned about their health care system. While very informative and a lot of fun, it wasn't the most relaxing Spring Break. This year, things are going to be quite different, though there won't be much more relaxing, unfortunately.

I'll be missing the sun and staying indoors this year; it was -12 degrees Farenheit this morning, apparently a record low for Feb. 28th in Grand Rapids, and our pipes actually froze solid. It was the third time this year that's happened, so the landlord came by to work on insulating the attic where the pipes run a bit better. Anyway, this week I've planned to devote most of my time to working on Step 1 preparation. I'm hoping to average about 8-10 hours per day on UWorld QBank questions from the domains we covered last semester, with a little Cardio studying sprinkled in here and there. Is 60-80 questions per day too much to hope for? Hopefully not, or I'll end up disappointed in myself.

It won't be fun, but it won't be stressful, either. Actually, it should serve to decrease my stress load, since I'll finally feel like I'm covering/reviewing the material that I really need to cover. I'm taking a bit of a break this weekend, with the true blitz starting on Monday. Tonight, Wife and I will be going out to dinner and spending the evening with Hobbes. If you're reading this and are doing something fun for Spring Break, tell me about it! It's fun to live a little vicariously through others, so please feel free to share.

1 comment:

Travis said...

I went snowboarding, to 2 concerts, read a book, watched some netflix, and drove around the mountains and lakes. Not spring break, just the daily grind... thinking about buying one of those "my life is better than your vacation" bumper stickers. Probably not. No one likes a person who rubs it in.

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (20) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (28) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (54) funny (21) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (50) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (5) MSU CHM (69) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (27) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (8) sick (8) Specialty (3) stress (13) Studying (45) surgery (6) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (25)
HyperSmash