Friday, April 11, 2014

M3 Clinical Rotation Schedule

A blog post wherein stuff finally seems more real.


So, originally I wanted to write a post about the female pelvic exam experience. You might think this would be awkward (it was a bit - I think that's unavoidable) and nothing more, but I learned a TON. The preceptors were incredible, the patient "volunteers" were very helpful and gave great feedback, and I felt like I learned a ton. Probably more than with any other clinical experience in the second year of med school. That was on Wednesday for me, so two days ago.

Like I said, originally I wanted to write a detailed post on that. Right now though, I'm kind of on a shortage of time. The Metabolism, Endocrine, and Reproduction Domain exam is Monday morning. Time is a commodity. 

Thus, this is a quick announcement to say:

I got my track assignment today.
It's awesome.

What's a 'track assignment,' you say? It's the order in which second year medical students (M2s aka Block II students) rotate through their third year (M3 aka Block III) clinical rotations (aka Clerkships, though I don't like this term for some reason, and thus will be referring to them as rotations).

There are only so many slots in each clinical rotation, so students are split up into groups. We rotate through the clinical placements in 8-week chunks of time, every group going in the same order through the rotations but starting at a different starting point at the beginning of the year.

I received Track D, starting on July 7th after orientation:



That's right. Starting in July, I'll be putting to good use the pelvic exam and many more skills I have yet to learn. My understanding is that I'll even have a quota of delivered babies that I'll need to fill. I ranked this track as a tie for 1st place. I mostly wanted to be able to get as much experience before the Psych/Elective rotation, where we get 4 weeks for Psych and 4 weeks for a rotation of our choice. I'm hoping to do an Emergency Medicine elective, and I want to have as much experience as possible going into that. We won't find out about our electives until later in the summer. Anyway... Yeah.

Med school is definitely getting real.

Wish me luck on Monday's domain exam.

2 comments:

Susan said...

This sounds so amazing! I'm totally excited for you!!

NoLongerSilent said...

How cool! Didn't finding out your M3 rotations give you an extra boost for studying? It definitely helped push me through our respiratory exams and it was much needed because I was dragging LOL.

Congratulations and hope you finish 2nd year strong!

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash