Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Wrapping Up M2 - MSU CHM

Yesterday, I attended the last two lectures of my second year of med school - possibly the last *traditional* lectures of med school as a whole; I don't know how much lecturing we get in third year and beyond. I also took a 1-hour clinical skills written exam in the morning, followed by a four-hour practice NBME exam in the afternoon. After which, I and the rest of my class were pretty fried, and thus took most of the evening off.

Today will be a slow day - started off with my last full PBL session ever, and now I'm in the Nerd Nest writing a blog post before doing some more UWorld questions. I've got 33% of my question bank left, which means that I've completed 1478 of 2211 questions so far. I hope to be down to about 15-20% by the time I really kick my ISP (Intensive Study Period) into gear in about a week or so. We'll see if I can pull that off...

Tomorrow night, Hobbes will graduate from Therapy Dog training, finally getting his license. On Sunday, Wife will officially walk in her graduation from Nursing School, receiving her B.S.N. (she technically finished everything in December, but now it'll be OFFICIAL official...). On Monday, I'll take the Gastrointestinal Domain exam, and then it's off to the nerd races for me. Goodbye, World. The intersection of Erkel and Samson, a period of life wherein we force ourselves into a mold whether we fit or not. The mold of the academic, the student with the work ethic that makes most other people shake their heads. We med students will be sequestering ourselves from the world for several weeks to fill every crevice in our brains with all the "knowledge" that the NBME claims is important. Necessary for the real world or not, we've gotta know it.

And that's where I am right now. Getting ready for the biggest test I've ever taken. Mentally and emotionally conditioning myself. Deep breaths. In the next seven weeks, I hope to read a couple thousand pages of information and complete ~4,000 more practice questions. Will it be worth it?

I'll let you know when I find out.

4 comments:

Rodney said...

No doubt it will be worth it - to you and the many, many (many) people who will benefit from you doing what you do. You will help heal, you will inspire, you will lead, you will follow, you will encourage, you will console.....you will make a tremendous difference in the world. An that makes everything 'worth it'.

Anonymous said...

Hello! How are you training your dog as a therapy dog? What training course are you doing?

Jackson said...

Where are you doing therapy dog training at?

Justin said...

@Jackson - It's a local organization called West Michigan Therapy Dogs. The people are great - check them out at http://www.wmtd.org

The Tags

accomplishment (2) AMCAS (1) anniversary (5) application (17) awesome (23) backpacking (8) bike (8) Biochemistry (13) Birthday (1) books (2) Break (46) bummer (2) camping (5) Christmas (4) crazy (30) Curiosity (10) doctor (7) Emergency Medicine (7) exams (37) Fail (4) fun (56) funny (22) Gear (8) God (2) Grand Rapids (2) grey hair (1) Honeymoon (2) Interview (8) iPad (2) Jintus Study (11) MCAT (14) med school (55) Mental Case (1) Motivation (4) Moving (4) MSU CHM (70) music (1) Naiya (22) Nerves (2) News (3) Nicole (40) Notes Plus (1) personal statement (5) Philosophy (1) photos (34) premed (4) random (25) Resources (9) Review (13) Running (6) Scary (2) Schedule (5) Science (1) Shadowing (6) sick (8) Specialty (4) stress (13) Studying (44) surgery (4) Tech (2) Tired (3) Travel (14) Travis (5) volunteering (3) Wife (26)
HyperSmash